I'm now a year off steroids....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
& have dropped 92 pounds. I have another 50 to go (I couldn't believe the weight I put on when I was on this medication).

I've plateaued in a big way. Does anyone know if steroid weight is harder to lose. I've worked with PT & dietician in the past & am still working at getting back to Occupational Therapist (OT) & PT.

Just curious if those of you who've had long term steroid treatment find it difficult to lose the weight; if you've lost all the weight how did you do it.

Would WWs help? I hate how I look.

JJJ

No personal experience but my sister did. She said the same thing, the last third of the weight took a long time to get off.

Are you able to exercise at all? I know jogging is out :tongue: but how about a stationary recumbent bike? Even just 10 minutes per hour as often as you can?

Have you tracked your calories? Write down every thing you eat and how much you eat of it for an entire week (include a bite of kt's cookie, and the double-serving bowl of ice cream, etc). Then add up the calories (or let kt look it all up on www.nutritiondata.com - she can create a day where it adds up everything and gives a very complete nutrional record, not just calories). If it turns out that you are eating too many calories, then WW might help (they have an online version too). Otherwise, you might just need to find a way to squeeze in little bits of exercise as you feel up to it.

92 pounds is a great weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!

trinityroyal

Congratulations Linda. Losing 92 lbs is a great achievement.

With regard to the last 50 lbs, whether it's steroid weight or not, it is very common for weight loss to go along at a good clip and then slow dramatically when you get closer to your goal. My husband lost 225 lbs, and really struggled with the last 50 or so, after the first 175 just fell off him. Many others in his diet program had the same issue.

As your body adjusts to your new size, your caloric intake requirement change radically. It takes far less fuel to operate a much smaller machine, if you will. So this is the point where you might need to make more siginficant changes. You may also find that your body will fight to retain those last pounds.

JJJ's suggestions are good ones. If you are diligent about tracking everything (input and output), then you'll get a sense as to what works for you. I also recommend the G.I. Diet books. (LittleDudesMom mentions them on another thread.) The diet was developed for insulin resistance and diabetes, but it also works very well as a weight loss plan.

I wish you all the best as you get closer to your goal.

Trinity

KTMom91

92 pounds is awesome, Linda! I've been fighting to take off about 100 pounds for about 8 years, all prednisone weight. I hate it. I've been doing WW for about two months, and have gained and lost the same 8 or so pounds the entire time. The week I sat on my couch eating Percocet, I lost four pounds. The weeks I work, I gain. I'm discouraged, disgusted, and tired.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks for the suggestions ~ I'll be keeping track of activity & what I eat during a normal day. I do know that I wake up & have absolutely no hunger. The last thing I want to put in my stomach is food - I get down a cup or 2 of tea or coffee. I don't eat until 2 or so in the afternoon because that is the first I'm hungry. I eat dinner & that's about it.

My physical activity has waned quite a bit - having a major flare. Physically I'm so weak. It sometimes takes an act of god to get out of bed. I've scoped out a rail for my bed to help pull myself up.

Thanks for the suggestions ~ I'll be doing more research.

N

Nomad

I was on steriods for six years.
Getting off of it was great...weight fell off.
The last bunch was harder.
WW helped, but I had to limit sugar and bread and drink lots of water. This worked very well for me and I was able to meet my goal weight.
Very recently I am having some problems...but having thyroid and insulin problems separate from steriod usage and it is being addresssed.
Sending good thougts...you are doing awesome!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Nomad ~ I consume water by the bucket it seems. I'll be watching the carbs & sweets. I know now that I'm post menopausal it will be even more difficult to lose the weight; I'm determined to try.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

I'm no expert, but you really are doing more damage to your changing body and metabolism by ingesting caffeine and no food until after noon. In order to maintain a fairly consistent metabolism, you must eat something in the morning - it's what starts your metabolism. Even if you aren't hungry, you need to eat some healthy whole grain and fruit. A slice of whole wheat toast and an orange, a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries, etc. By not eating until after noon, your body has nowhere to get energy and that can seriously be attributing to your lack of energy. I know that having a flare is a major part of the decrease in energy, but not fueling your body definitely has an impact.

I know you know the science of turning your metabolism into "starvation" mode. When you don't ingest enough calories for you body to use as fuel, your body says, "oh, famine time, everyone take a vacation". Your body can't run without fuel anymore than your car can't run without gas.

Try and eat something in the morning that is full of healthy grains and a piece of fruit and I bet you nine to one you will feel a difference in your energy.

Sharon

N

Nomad

I agree with- Sharon.
If it is very hard for you to eat in the morning, then stick with easy to make...small portions.
A tiny bit of oatmeal with a few blueberries for breakfast. or a hard boiled egg. How about a piece of string cheese and 1/2 an orange? Personally, I think protein in the morning is very helpful. These are things that are easy to make.
Lunch...1/2 turkey sandwhich and a little salad or soup (just an example of something easy to make that is not high in calories...should be easy to digest).
Just keep it small and that's fine...actually healthy.
Right now this is what I'm doing, but I'm also adding small snacks inbetween...mostly of protein.
For coffee...I drink Folgers 1/2 and 1/2 coffee (1/2 decaf and 1/2 regular) and honestly, think it tastes BETTER than full 100% regular strength coffee.
Sooo gooooood that you are drinking a lot of water!
But honestly, especially over the age of 40, you need to eat regularly to avoid the drop in metabolism. Also...limit sugar...as I believe you said you are doing. Hang in there!

Linda,

Congratulations on losing 92 lbs!!! This is a major accomplishment!!! As far as suggestions for getting the last 50 off, I was going to say what Sharon (LDM) and Nomad already said. It really is important to eat something in the morning to get your metabolism going. Like the others said, I truly think you'll feel much better once you get used to the idea of eating in the morning. Let us know how it goes.

YOU CAN DO THIS:D!!! SFR

dreamer

WOW, I havent been here in like forever, again. TL it sounds like you are on a great track! YAY! I didnt realize until Monday when I saw my rheumetologist, but.I have now lost 50 pounds and yes it is steroid weight. Yes, I have the Cushings, and the diabetes from the 10 years of steroids, and in Feb doctor and I again tried to simply reduce my does, and since the.UG! I have been an a long term nonstop flare of massive pain and more bone loss and ruptured tendons... so .. back up again on the steroids. :-( And all activity has been near impossible for me since feb because of the major flare. It has now also hit my eyes and well, just UG!
My weight .. my doctor was surprised and confused about how much I lost and was even concerned.....until I reminded him- because of hubbys heart attacks, we dropped red meat entirely. Actually last week, I tried to cheat and HATED how it tasted. :-( and all baked goods, gone.
I am also someone who my entire life I never ever ate a thiing before say 5 pm, even when I did hard physical labor and LONG hours. My mom never ate before dinner either. Now I force a little in..but even now I still force it down, a peice of toast, or a quarter cup long cook oatmeal, a couple almonds- somethinig. Actually, I have moved from traditional meals to more like a tiny snack every 2-4 hours, half a cup of nonfat yogurt, 5 almonds, half a banana, quarter cup of oats.,.....10 blueberries, a stalk of celery.
I lost 50 pounds, my dang hubby- so not fair, LOL he lost 100 pounds!!!! and he cheats. LOL. and HE doesnt do anything physical!
ah well, hang in there!