I'm only just beginning this process and it's soooo frustrating.

C

Cazzy

Hi all. I'm new here and just really beginning this lovely journey. My son is almost 7 and in Kindergarten last year the teacher referred him to the child study team because he is confused (a lot) and stares off into space during lessons. The team came to his class and watched him and in a follow up meeting determined his behavior was "not age appropriate" and he should be evaluated. This was in May and it's the last I have heard from the school. My son was hospitalized (unrelated stomach issues) and out for 3 weeks following the meeting. I also took him privately to a neurologist who did an inpatient EEG to make sure he wasn't having petit mal seizures.

I posted a message on the Sped 101 forum that I emailed the head of special services and the new principal on Monday for a status update and got no reply. I guess I should be following up with a certified letter. Is there anyway to be firm with the school district without peeing them off? Do they really just not care about my son? My Mom instinct is to go in guns-a-blazing but I'm sure that will get me nowhere...but wait - that is where I am now! Sigh..

Hi Cazzy,

Welcome.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Honestly. How long does a certified letter take? Can you leave a voice mail for the director of SpEd
and the principal, and also another email for each?

I think it is a busy time now for the schools and this accounts for the delay. Be a squeaky wheel, but a polite and firm one. Also request specifically what it is you are asking for, in writing. When I think of it, there probably is no status update for your son. Ask specifically for an IEP and by law the school is must provide one within 60 days of your written request.

Have a look at, and bookmark, this site http://www.wrightslaw.com/

That was a great call taking your little guy for an EEG. What do you think accounts for his confusion?

Jo

Jena

hi

just wanted to jump in and welcome you here. Jo gave you a great resource to use. i've used that website myself alot. Also shes right now is a rough time for schools, everyone just starting, confusion etc. i don't know if i would do certified letter yet. id' probably follow up with a visit to the office or a phone call. than if you get nowhere i'd go to certified letter.

good luck..... sounds like you have already begun all the right steps.

Marguerite

Welcome. Good for you to get your son checked out. Not all problems show up with testing, but the nastier problems can get ruled out.

Your child has rights, you can insist on them politely, before you feel the need to have guns blazing. But this is YOUR child, it is understandable if you want to make sure he gets a fair deal.

There is a lot of advice here, read around on the site. Let us know how it's all going.

Marg

C

Cazzy

Thank you all for your words. There is comfort in hearing from those who have been there / done that.

I did pop into the school today and talked to the woman who studied him in Kindergarten and said an evaluation was necessary. She said they hadn't forgotten about him and would be setting up a meeting for early next week to review the evaluation and get my permission to begin. I defiantly did the "catch more flies with honey" routine even though I was pretty annoyed.

Jo - I'm not sure what is making him so confused. He preschool teacher thought some type of processing issue. The Kindergarten teacher thought either Inattentive ADD or possibly dyslexia. Hopefully the testing will get to the bottom of it.

BusynMember

I would take him to a private neuropsychologist. Through five kids I've had no luck with school testing. It's not very intensive. neuropsychologist testing is. Has anyone suggested that he may be on the autism spectrum? He sounds like he could be and he'd need special help addressing that if it's the case. At any rate, I'd get him privately evaluated.

Hi Cazzy "and get my permission to begin" Hey am I missing something here -- How many times have you already given permission to begin? I would several very specific emails today which both firmly request an evaluation and give permission to begin. The day you specifically ask for this in writing, is the day your child's legal rights begin per Federal Special Education law, IDEA. You will know when it is time to put some steel into your voice. When I read your posts and think about the fact that you started in May, and you are still waiting to give them permission, I notice a very steely feeling arising in my brain. Jo

C

Cazzy

I have been considering getting private testing done as well. Probably will end up doing it, especially if the school continues to act as they have so far. barneysmom - I know it sounds strange to still not have given my permission months later. His Kindergarten teacher was the one who said he needed to be evaluated. The child study team agreed and in our last meeting in May said they would evaluate. I just assumed they would start. I didn't realize they needed written permission and was never asked for it. Let me tell you that is the last time I will be so clueless. I have spent all day reading the Wrights Law books trying to get up to speed. I will do as you suggest and put it in writing. Thanks!

Cazzy, it's a real pain sometimes to have to read all those books and I was never one to be interested in all that stuff. It took me a long time to learn what an IEP was -- I had no real interest. Then I *had* to learn it or my ship would sink. Now I'm kind of addicted to learning more about SpEd law and mental health law. it's interesting how many secrets are hidden in there that parents don't know about, and I like knowing the inside scoop. You are doing a GREAT job and you are getting a great start at being pro-active which will make your child's and your life easier. I wish I had started earlier -- just about a year ago for me, my sons were already 12 and 16. But I was always too busy being that *nice Mrs. Barneysmom* and that just got me nowhere. Now I like lacing up the steel-toed boots, tempered with occasional whiffs of lavender, rosewater and vanilla as a nod to the traditionalist in me. And just to clarify, they don't *need* written permission, but when you give a written *request* they become legally responsible with a time constraint. Sorry about beating that to death. . . Jo

Last edited: