I'm soo excited! I got the interview

Jena

hi

ok so i'm totally excited and a little nervous. I got the job interview for the parent advocate position, on wed. I spent a long time on the phone with-the person who i'd be directly underneath.

I hope im ready for this position, she assured me i am based off my long cover letter info about difficult child and also our conversation.

Id' be given ten cases, ten families to work with. Id' go to home meet with-parents or parent and the child. Id then sit with them and come up wiht a plan to keep the child functional and in the home. She said alot of these children are at a critical point and it's our job to get them functional and keep them a part of the community. ok me handling that, wow. scary.

She said i'd have a team of 3 other ppl to speak with and hold weekly meetings with. She said i'd come up with a plan, divide work with 3 diferent ppl their part in it and she'd oversee my work initially until i got the hang of it. I'd also go with the families to court hearings, meetings, etc.

It's mostly in the field so my one issue is that i have to be home for difficult child by time she gets out of school. so i'm hoping i can make the schedule work. It seems very involved and challenging. Pays even good, benefits, vacation, sick days.

I'm excited yet a little nervous i hope i'm qualified for this job.

it's nice to be excited about something again for a change. i soo need a job. :)

trinityroyal

Yay!

Breaking out the dancing slippers and the chicken livers!
Doing the nekkid chicken liver dance in the hopes that all goes well with your interview.

Best of luck, Jen!

Trinity

klmno

Congratulations!! Just stay cool and take it one step at a time...I'm excited for you and hope it all goes well!

Jena

thanks, i'm looking forward to the interview and the opportunity to work there. The idea of being able to help ppl and also get paid really makes me happy.

I guess I shouldn't get too nervous i will be working with-a team of ppl if i get the job.

ctmom05

Jennifer,

I am wishing you the best with the upcoming job interview!

Parents to parent support is so powerful. Those who have navigated the system are able to make a great connection with struggling families.

Good luck.....

ctmom05

Jennifer -

You didn't mention when the interview is; if you care to share I can send some extra positive vibes your way on that day.

Jena

Wednesday is the interview :)

Funny thing I was trying on my old work clothes, a few suits, pants, etc. nothing fits!! LOL it's scary i've gained about 10 lbs. at least since i haven't been working. hmmm i'll need new clothes :)

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Will be thinking of you on Wednesday!!! If you aren't qualified for this job, I don't know who is.......... My only fear for you is this will be overwhelming to you...... it won't be just a 9-5 job..... You will get involved with the parents and if you are good they will call you outside regular hours and you will have to calm them....... They start you out with ten cases? I would be asking how many they plan to give you after 30 days? Also are there other parent advocates you could talk to? If you are the only one it could be a daunting task. Did I remember you had paralegal experience? Going into court is a scary experience for parents so your experience there could be invaluable....... if there are other parent advocates you might be able to center your skills in this area, if they are willing to partner..... just a thought..... have no experience myself, just trying to prep you with interview questions........

Good luck with the interview!!!!!!

TerryJ2

Congratulations! It does sound like a shoe-in.
To stay calm, try to think less about how nervous you are, and more about the people you can help, and because you are a mom of a special kid, it uniquely qualifies you for this position. No one else can have the insight that you have.
You can take us with-you on Wednesday in your heart and mind.
In fact, you can print out the graphic from the masthead--the fish jumping out of water--and put in in your pocket and pat it every now and then for reassurance. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well kiddo -

I don't know how I missed this - but........paint me in the corner of trying to be optimistic for you! Mostly because I think this is going to be really tough. And yes, yes - I know you are tough, but I worry about you. Sorry - occupational (friend) hazzard.

I hope I'm really wrong and that it's the position of a lifetime for you. One thing for SURE - you're at least going to rub elbows with people in the know - so maybe you'll find out something for you and your kids....Know what I mean??

Best of luck -
Hugs
Star

Jena

Thanks guys you are all so great each in your own way. Ok i'm like a walking Hallmark today lol. :)

yes, I have paralegal experience and I"m sure that will assist greatly in court situations. There is also a team i will be working with so I will not be alone. My friend, ex therapist works there also and is always there for me for advice on how to handle something. It's me, a respite worker, a skill builder, and a pyshdoc for our weekly mtgs to discuss the kids and the plan and hopefully the progress.

It is for kids in very bad "crisis" mode. Who knows maybe i'll learn something that we can all benefit. A discussion Totoro brought up the other day in regards to what to do with our kids when 18 hits. The kids i'll be working with will be 9 - 18 years old.

I will take all of you with me, and my nervousness has passed now and I am confident that I can do the job. It is very important to me for some reason to help ppl to some extent with whatever it is that I have learned and will continue to learn. I am aware that this will be a full time job, yet i think they will be understanding and I will try to gear my appointments to times before 3:30 so I can be there for difficult child which is huge.

I can then use my free weekends when she's with dad to also spend time with the families as well.

Star - I'm going to be ok, I'm ready for this. I soo appreciate you caring. I hope that I get it. It will be good on multiple levels for me. Financial independence again and able to provide for difficult child and easy child on my own, also mentally challenging for me. I require alot of mental stimulation I have learned this past year. I know my heart will get involved, and It'll become personal. Yet to me everything in life should be personal.

ok i've rambled enough. :)

M

ML

Just adding my good wishes and prayers Jennifer. I know you'll do great and look forward to hearing good news on Wednesday. Shopping sounds fun! Good thoughts, ML