Im thinking of adopting this doll baby..what do you think?

T

TeDo

Ok Janet. You got me. I seriously can't tell if this is a real baby or a doll. There is something about the overall picture that has an "unreal" look to it. I am stumped. Sorry I offended you (if it's a real kid) and ROFLMAO (if it's a doll). easy child/difficult child swears it's a doll. I honestly am not sure.

Either way, by all means adopt him. He's cute (real or fake).

Steely

Ummmm..............OK. Whatever makes you happy :) What do you do with it? I always wondered that about these dolls - I wouldn't know what to do with it except look at it.

InsaneCdn

Ummm..... Steely?

Janet has those things we call rug-rats.
Almost as much of a pain as what you have in your house... except, you can't get rid of them.
So... you might call this: Rug-Rat Bait!

(Don't tell me... "rug-rat" is a Canadian-ism? if so, I guess I'll have to explain later)

DammitJanet

I think he is absolutely adorable! Did you know you can actually get them made to look exactly like your real child? Such as send in a picture of your child as a toddler and have a doll made to look like that? If I actually had the money I would. I am going to attempt to learn to do this. Sounds like a wonderful hobby and you can earn thousands of dollars. I would love to make ones that looked like my grandchildren as toddlers...lol.

Steely

I am so lost - is this THE baby - Cory's baby? I am with TeDo no offense - but if this is a real baby - he is unbelievably gorgeous. Sorry Janet, I believe I have put the proverbial foot in mouth......

DammitJanet

Steely, this is what is known as a reborn baby. It is really a doll but it has been completely remade by an artist from a plastic baby doll into what you see in the picture. They remove all the painted on coloring and hair, take off the cloth stuffed parts and plastic arms and legs, then meticulously heat and mold the faces and limbs and paint them to look like real babies. They also fill the bodies with beads and sand in pouches so that they feel like the right weight for a real baby and so they move in real ways. They put in glass eyes and cover them with clear gloss so they look real and they put on fake eyelashes.

You can also get them with eyes closed so they are always sleeping.

Look up reborn babies on the internet. They are gorgeous.

Steely

That's what I thought!!! Then inscnd confused me....no fair insane....lol....in the states rug rats are real kids!!!

DammitJanet

People really do carry these things around with them and have gotten in trouble when they leave the things in the car. Other folks have called the cops on them thinking they have left a newborn in the car alone...lol.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Wow, Janet! I'm an infertile woman and I find this heartbreaking! I've suffered from "baby lust", there's no other way to describe the longing.

InsaneCdn

Steely -

What I meant was... Janet has grandkids, around here AKA rug-rats.
Really cute baby dolls? Rug-rat bait - how you keep the grandkids from destroying your house.

DammitJanet

3S...that may be why these started being done. I have no idea. I saw them on an episode of some show and I cant remember what it was...either Oprah, Phil, The View or one of those type things. These middle aged women..or those who had kids who had left home already...had rooms full of these babies. Maybe some women who cant have a baby get attached to these. They are adorable. Some actually come with birth certificates and everything.

Steely

Sorry Insane - I am REALLY slow today on the uptake :( Must be all the mouse guana in my house!!!!

Janet - go for it! I have seen these dolls on many shows - and many people have them as collections.

flutterby

Fly away!
My mom has several of those. She buys them real baby clothes and dresses them for seasons and holidays. difficult child had a couple, too, but when her interest in them waned she gave them to my mom.

I'm not a doll person. Never was. When I was little, my mom would buy me a doll every year for Christmas because that's what she always wanted when she was a kid. I couldn't have cared less. However, these dolls? I find myself holding them like a real baby when I'm at her house.