Impulse Control issues medications?

Indianamomof4

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted here. I've been very busy working with difficult child on his Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). We did successfully get an IEP, so that is one big plus. Thanks to all of you who were helpful and supportive there. He's been off medications for about 4 months now and has grown so much. He eats like a cow now... it's so funny. Anyway, teacher and therapist note that he cannot seem to control his impulses enough. He does try and he cares to try, but he just can't. I'm so worried that now he'll have to be back on medications, but my search has shown that medications for impluse control are mostly stimulants, which he reacts so badly to. Any advice there?

He's also developed another nervous tic. He used to have them, which we thought was a result of the ADHD medications, but I'm guessing not. He now shakes his head vigorously probably 4 times, at least, per minute. He said the other day in the car, "Mommy, why can't I stop shaking my head? I hate it!".... It nearly broke my heart. :(

LittleDudesMom

Sorry I can't be of help with other medications besides stims to suggest for impulse. It is sad to watch a child who wants so badly to do, or not to do, something struggle with the impulses within themselves (I see this with my son - the knowing what to do or what not to do is secondary to the impulse).

Perhaps someone will be along with a successful medication or behavior mod experience. I'm glad to hear your son is off medications and doing well though. Stims, while perhaps not causing the tic, would have a high chance of making it/them worse.

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hi Indiana!

I was thinking of maybe EMDR hypno therapy for the tics?

I have no suggestions on the medications. I think maybe if you posted the same question in Natural Alternatives section you may find some help there.

Good to see you back
Star

smallworld

Both the blood pressure medications Clonidine and Tenex and atypical antipsychotics like Risperdal treat tics. Although they don't help with inattention, Clonidine and Tenex are sometimes prescribed to reduce the ADHD symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity. So maybe one of those would be helpful for both issues. Something to ask the psychiatrist about.

pepperidge

My son also developed tics on stims and they didn't work very well. He did terribly on Tenex.

What helps him a fair amount with impulse control (which is a huge problem for him) is Abilify. He is on a low dose, 2.5 mg. We just took him off it for a month, and all the impulse control issues came back. It also helps his attention a bit too.

It might be worth looking into Abilify.

Indianamomof4

His doctor was open to trying Tenex. She also suggested Risperdal. I didn't suggest Ablify, but I will keep it in the back of my mind. He started it on Friday night.

It has been suggested, in the past, from a psychiatric evaluation, that it's possible he had Tourette's with ADHD. I had no idea there was hypnotherapy for tics, even with kids? That's pretty cool and I'm going to check it out.