In 3.....2......1.......

Star*

call 911........call 911
DUDE WILL BE 18 tomorrow -

Frrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I tell you ............frrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............................

I'm not exactly sure from what but I've had it up to HERE with "After tomorrow you won't be able to tell me what to do anymore." and I counter with........."Uh huh......I'm FRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

to which I get looks like -
Um well I'm still your kid -

and I did it ALL on my own - without a nickles help from anyone.

I am not able to get him a car - and I feel bad that there are not multiple sets of grandparents to help out. There is no one. Just me. I got him a card, and a nice set of hair clippers because he wants to be a barber. (this week) but he has always cut hair and is good at it.

I got the USUAL favorite funfetti cake and thought - every year the same cake; then I cried when I bought the 1 and 8 candle for his cake.....looked like a nitwhit in the Food Lion.

Then someone mentioned selective service - and I went to pieces and then thought about Janet's boy and everywoman's girl - and thought I don't want to play here - can we go back to catching lightning bugs and reading stories and worrying about homework and calls from school?

klmno

WOW!! Congratulations, Mom! Happy Birthday, Dude!!

Far be it from me to ever disagree with you, Star, but this time I think Dude is right on one count- he will always be your son!!

From just the small amount that I've read here, you have conquered a lot of odds for this kid- and he seems to show that he knows that more and more, as he matures.

Good job!!

Oh- yeah, there is something to be said for catching lightening bugs and reading stories!!! Well, maybe he'll have you a grandbaby (the 2-legged kind), HUH???

everywoman

It's okay Star. It may take a few weeks, but he'll soon realize that until you take charge of your own life, 18 is just a #. And really, with his charges, the military probably wouldn't take him. PCdaughter wanted to be a MP---but because at 17 she popped her exbf on the back of the head after he had kicked a nice dent in the back of her car and she got charged with assault, it almost kept her out completely and she couldn't do MP at all. So go on and have him register, there is no draft!!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Wow!!!! That's the big number, unless you're turning 40. been there done that.

It's funny. I last saw my nephew about 5 years ago. He was a TOTAL difficult child. Caught him drinking and smoking at my inlaws party.

He pops in today unnanouced. (I'm getting used to this.) What an upstanding man. He joined the Army a few years ago and now is in the reserves. I absolutely loved talking to him. We sat for a couple of hours and just shot the breeze. I was pretty frank with him. I said, "Dang...last time I saw you, you were a mess!!"

"Yeah...I was, but the Army straintened me out."

It was so good.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Starbie...................

Someone forgot to clue Travis in on that once he turned 18 I was free, cuz he's 22 and still here. :tongue: :faint: :rofl: And will be unless I ship him off to my mother's.

And he has no clue how close he is to that happening.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on the barber school. I have a feeling he'd love it.

I'm gonna wish him an early Happy Birthday. And now you get to join the ranks of the head bobbers. We just grin alot and bob our heads to all their silly ideas. :D

Hugs

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I have no idea what do you do?... 18 yo Dude! It probably seems so fast, yet SOOOOO long. From what you have written, you did it! You have beaten the odds with this young man. He actually sounds like he is doing better. (More mature sounding?)
You Miss Star are an inspirational parent.
Get some rest tonight, there may be a tear or two tomorrow.

meowbunny

Happy birthday, Dude. Just remember that there are a lot of risks to being 18 -- people expect you to act like an adult even though you're really only a day older.

As to you, Star, go ahead and cry. 18 is rough on we parents. We still want the reading and the lightning bugs and the silly, no reason for giggles.

Dude has come so far in the past few months. It really does sound like getting him out of that foster home and seeing you still fighting for him had a huge impact. Barber school really does sound like a good idea. Maybe if he could show the judge he has true plans and hopes and that he is taking steps to get to trade school (applying for grants, scholarships, etc.), the November hearing may go better for him, too.

Here's hoping his 18th truly is a special day for him with no pain and some fond memories. The kid deserves that.

Hugs to you both.

susiestar

Roll With It
Star,

I think you have done an amazing job with very few resources. Dude is blessed to have you for a mom. As my own parents say, "You don't stop worrying about your kids. Ever." So some concern will always be there.

Sending hugs and Birthday wishes!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Star, I remember the joy and relief I felt when Rob turned 18. It was a heady experience to know that I was no longer financially vulnerable to his stupid/illegal behaviors.

But don't kid yourself.......you're still, and always will be, THE MOM. Thank goodness.

I hope you both have a wonderful day.

Suz

nvts

Be careful...you could end up with a "do-over" kid!!! I KNOW it can happen! Via experience!!! lol

Happy Birthday to Dude and to you Auntie Star!

Beth & the inch worm

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Happy birthday, Star Dude.

Go ahead and laugh and cry, Star. I never knew just how intense the feelings of pride and humilitation, love and hate, and joy and sorrow could be coursing thru your veins simultaneously, and all regarding the same human being - in my case, my adult difficult child.

It is a milestone for both of you. Shed your tears and punch your pillows, and I'll pray with you that the next 18 are a little less...eventful.

Hugs.

house of cards

Happy Birthday Dude

18 candles, WOW

Star, I have 2 past the big 18 and I feel great, like I make a check mark into the air, one down (of course it is somewhat of an illusion, but a lovely one)...