In memoriam - our dear Molly

katya02

Solace
Our beloved chocolate Lab Molly passed away this morning. She had been failing for awhile after a complete paralysis in her hind legs a year ago, that resolved slowly with special diet and lots of therapy. In spite of all that she was always happy, excited to be with us, loved tattling on the cats when they would break the rules and get up on the kitchen counter (she was the Kitchen Watch Dog, very proud of herself for alerting us to Bad Kitty goings-on), and up until a day or two ago was happily burying her nose in the new, soft snow and tossing it around when out in her little yard. She suffered a catastrophic illness suddenly during the night, and we had to have her put to sleep this morning.

She was the Best. Dog. Ever. Part of our family. A beautiful soul.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:sad::sorry:

I'm so very sorry. At least she was happy and full of fun up until the last. What more can a dog hope for?

My own Molly girl is failing fast and it's worrying me. I don't know what I'll do without her. Other than guarding the house, she has never acted like a dog........she is such a huge part of this family.

(((((hugs)))))

Mom2oddson

:sad:
I'm so sorry. I'm glad Molly was enjoying herself right up to the end. Labs sure do love playing in the snow. Annie loves catching snowballs. Molly sound like quite the love. I'm sorry that she had to leave. {{{hugs}}}

katya02

Solace
Thank you all ... husband and I have been struggling with the whole concept of being the ones to choose Molly's time to go ... even though she was severely ill. I keep wondering if stronger pain medications and supportive care would have been a better option. I can't get the moment out of my head when she looked at us so trustingly, just before the vet gave her the final injection. She trusted us to do the right thing. While I know it's commonly, maybe universally held, that euthanasia IS the right thing when an animal is very ill, I'm second-guessing myself and feeling like a really, really bad person. I won't ever do this again with any of my other animals.
But I can't take this decision/action back.

Breeding cats has changed my attitude toward animals in ways I never expected. I'm not carrying on with the breeding program as I originally set it up because I can't stomach bringing these little ones into the world for the purpose of selling them. I feel I'm trafficking in lives - not human, but definitely sentient, conscious, aware, emotionally connected, intelligent little beings who communicate very clearly and have their own life agendas. I do feel a responsibility of guardianship for the animals I have in my care, but I'm starting to think that that commitment doesn't give me life and death power over either the beginnings or ends of their lives. More a relationship of stewardship and care, without the power.

I'm not bringing this up with an intention of making anyone else feel bad about decisions they've made for their animals in the past, and I'm not trying to start an argument. Please forgive me if my thoughts on this give offense.
I'm rambling a bit, I guess. But I will never euthanize one of my animals again, any more than I'd euthanize my elderly mother in law. I don't think it's an authority I possess.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Katya, I think anyone who has euthanized a pet has pretty much felt the same feelings. I know I did when we had no choice but to put Lil Bit down. Then we did have no choice as she'd turned extremely aggressive and to adopt her out to another family would just endanger that family. And still, even though I had no choice........I keep that moment tucked deep away because I swear I've never had anything hurt me that bad before or shake me down to my very core like that did. No it didn't help that I believe animals are not much different than we are, over a lifetime I've had it reinforced that they don't simply act on instinct ect the way society attempts to teach us.

I don't think I can ever go that route again either. I know I never could with any of the furbabies I have right now........I might spoil them insanely right up until that last moment........but even if I had no choice but to put them down.......someone else would have to do it, cuz I know I can't do it again.

((((hugs))))

Star*

call 911........call 911
For Katya~

For the Love of Big Girl, The Waggy Tail, Our Kitchen Guardian - Loves Never Fail

I'll Miss You More Than You Will Know, Each Gentle Drift Your Nose In Snow

Constant Companion K-Nine O'Mine, Your Paw On My Heart, Our Souls Entwined

Tho Not Goodbye Forever Just Now, I Wish You Peace, Oh Lovely Bow Wow

For Someday Together Again We Will Be, Another Time for My Molly and Me

Much Love Katya - My Most Sincerest Regrets on the loss of your beloved daughter -- Star

katya02

Solace
Thank you so much - I've been so upset over Molly and the issues I mentioned - have to pull it together now for
Christmas. Your love and support make it possible. Love to all, best wishes to all of you and your loved ones,
and, Star, your poem is a gem and you, as always, are beautiful. Love you all.