In Need of Suggestions Here

DammitJanet

Or...I was just thinking about things that go with the flavor mint and the first one that came to my mind was chocolate. I wonder if you could mix it with herseys syrup. Or even powdered cocoa mix. I just think the syrup would be a bit easier. I know I would like it better...lol.

J

joneshockey

It would all depend on if the chocolate syrup has postassium in it --- that is our problem, we can't give her foods that are high in potassium... even baby food is a challenge. After her formula intake she can only consume 170 mg of potassium aday. Poor child, she will probably never be able to eat a banana in her life :(

Can you do this? Wrap her up in a blanket really tight, like a papoose, with her arms inside so she can't fight you. Then hold her on an angle so gravity will be on your side or put her on her back, and pry her mouth open or hold her nose, whatever you have to do. Once it's in, hold her mouth shut until she swallows. It's harsh, but at least she'll (hopefully) take it.

DammitJanet

Well...lets check chocolate and potassium. Okay, chocolate does have some potassium in it and from what I can find out, it depends on which kind you use it depends on how much. Actually, according to this site because I love chocolate so much I should never have to worry about a stroke! LOL. I think a few semi sweet chips melted would work and fit into your guidelines because they are only 55 grams for 32 and I dont think you would need close to that. Or if you used a small bit of a hot cocoa mix it would only be 19 for the whole packet. you sure wouldnt use the entire packet.

J

joneshockey

I may have to try this out, Janet --- If she continue on that antibiotic the urologist has pulled her off of it until the culture come back.

DDD

I just checked the Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry and it shows 0 potassium. The regular Cran/Pom juice has l% which equals 40 units. Although I thought of the cranberry juice due to the urinary tract I have to admit that it might not be a popular taste, lol, even if it is medicinal. Should override the mint I think. DDD

H

HaoZi

White cranberry has less tart taste, the Northland brand has a higher actual cranberry %. Don't know the potassium of either. Blueberries are even better for UTIs than cranberries though.
My parents had to haul out the blender and make my baby food because of a citric acid sensitivity and back then all baby foods were tomato based.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
IF they have a suppository delivery system, that would be your best bet. I'm thinking they probably don't though as medications are absorbed so much faster that way and with an antibiotic you need to maintain the blood level until the next dose is delivered. I'm not sure antibiotics are made to be delivered that way.

I totally get the potassium issue as I've got it too. And I can't go near cranberries as the type of calcium in it my body makes into stones, and I don't need any more of those.

If the antibiotic is upsetting her tummy......she's probably associated the upset tummy with the taste or even the method of delivery. Babies are extremely cause and effect......It will be hard to tell if it's actually the mint taste or the effect of the medication itself. If it's the effect of the medication on her tummy it's not going to matter how you try to give it to her, she'll associate it with the upset tummy and it probably won't work more than two or three times tops.

Hold off like doctor wants. Let her poor tummy settle. Many of these types antibiotics are harsh on tummies and make you quite queasy.

It may get to the point where you have to use the swaddling method where you wrap her tightly in a blanket (arms at her sides) and then attempt to give it to her slowly. I can do it.......I'm not sure I can type out instructions to describe how to do it. Know what I mean?? The more you use the method, the better you get at it and the more quickly and smoothly the medications are delivered. It's usually a last resort thing if other methods fail. Doesn't hurt the infant, is just not that pleasant.

But I'm guessing you and Emily have quite a road ahead and I doubt her doctor is going to want her admitted each time antibiotics are required.......as that would be more traumatic by far that the swaddling method.

Hugs

J

joneshockey

She only ate a total of 15 oz today... Her average amount is around 32 - 36 oz. plus she usually eats 2 tbls. of cereal & 1 jar of carrots. I couldn't get her to eat the cereal or baby food, but she did take in 6 oz. of formula before bed... so hopefully she will have a better day tomorrow. She will be at her grandma's so at least I will be notified if there is any concerns at all with her. I will keep everyone posted once I know what the urine culture shows tomorrow. Thanks for all your suggestions and support --- lets hope that tomorrow she will wake up and be feeling MUCH better, since the antibiotic will be out of her system for almost 24 hours by then.

J

joneshockey

Emily got up at 3:30 this morning and drank another 6 oz.... YEA! Hopefully we are now on the rebound after not eating for several days :) I am anxious to hear what our plan of action is now going to be when I talk to the urologist today.