Inappropriate teenage behavior. Vent!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
CB, next time don't warn just report. For some kids it's the only way to get through to them.

I can't speak for other cultures but I spent the vast majority of my life hanging with males of all ages. I seem to get along better with males. I have had many a long open discussion on this subject because having been a victim (and I was a child, I did NOT dress inappropriately by any means, and rape as an adult dressed conservatively) and knowing that sexual assault is more about power than sex (and sorry it IS about sex too because that is the way that person gets off). I wanted the male perspective.

I can't say I found one that viewed a female who dressed immodestly as being moral. While they didn't agree it made her open season to rape; general consensus was that she was "loose" or "easy" or a "ho" in today's terms. So they felt no barrier to open remarks / gestures to said female since she is openly advertising her "wares". She is also less likely to be believed when she protests.

I was maybe 7 when my gramma first told me, "If you dress like a Ho (not this term but other won't pass censors) and you act like a Ho, a man is gonna treat you like a Ho."

I don't give a crud about political correctness. My gramma's statement was true the day she made it (early 70's) and it's true today. 41 yrs later I've never found anything to contradict her statement in human behavior. Except not only will a man treat you like a "ho" so will every female.

There are many females, teens and grown women alike, who think advertising or flaunting themselves make them popular with males. Well. duh. There is a big difference between being "popular" and being respected.

So while a woman has the right to say no and that should be enough? If you want respected by that male your with you might want to really look at yourself in the mirror. If your skirt is up to your rear and your chest is falling out of your top don't act so darn shocked that his hands are all over you. Because your mouth might be saying no but everything else is a giant welcome sign.

SuZir

I don't give a crud about political correctness. My gramma's statement was true the day she made it (early 70's) and it's true today. 41 yrs later I've never found anything to contradict her statement in human behavior. Except not only will a man treat you like a "ho" so will every female.

That has some truth in it. At least with some people (though I don't think too highly of an adult who thinks that 15-year-old is a 'ho' because she is wearing a skanky dress. And I believe most adults are smarter than that.) But I also think that taking different roles and exploring how that affects is part of growing up. Girl with the skanky dress at school may get a certain reputation and certain attention from boys. And she will probably learn from that without any long term harm happening to anyone. And in my experience (I have long time friends who dressed like 'ho's' in middle school and had a wild reputation) that reputation doesn't really follow anyone to adulthood because people grow and understand how loosely those reputations were given. I was a real stuck up most of the time while growing up and my reputation was even more so. Fortunately that reputation has not followed me to this ripe old age.

I just can't see dress being that big matter. I hate how my kids dress (and they are not even showing too much skin), but there are things teens have to be able to decide and try themselves. And dress (and hair and make up) are the most innocent ways to explore.

DammitJanet

Well when I was raped there were no thongs, I had on quarter length sleeves, jeans, and my shirt was a baseball jersey. I certainly wasnt advertising anything. Neither was my girlfriend, we were dressed exactly alike except for the fact the shirts were different colors. Oh and we had on sneakers. No high heels. Underwear was normal underwear for teens in that era. I dont remember us having all that much to choose from. Or maybe I just wasnt into that sort of stuff. I bought packs of 6 panties at a store and a normal white bra.

Last edited:

Californiablonde

by the way even this girl's friend asked her, "What are you wearing? Is that your jailbait dress?" So yeah people will get the wrong idea if you dress a certain way. I thought it was pretty funny that the young high school agreed with me. The dress was totally inappropriate.

BusynMember

Adults here judge fifteen year old girls who flaunt their bodies as some nasty things because it is almost certain that she is having sex. No, not all fifteen year old girls in the US dress like that, talk like that or do it. The kids are even harder on the kids than adults are.

You are asking for catcalls, lots of "boyfriends" who will use you then drop you, and a bad reputation within your peer group if you act that way here, even at fifteen. But, as I said before, I think it often starts when Mom decides it's cute to dress Jennifer in tight, tight tops and mini-skirts when she is five. And the problem exelerates when mom is maybe really young and pretty and also dresses that way and the little girl hears the attention she gets from grown men. I always thought a mom should tone it down...call me a prude. She wants to wear a sexy cocktail dress? Do it on date night when Daughter is with grandma.

When I worked at Head Start there were MANY kids who knew way too much about sex, talked about doing it to other children and a few who liked to flash. They were ages 3-4. It was not the norm. Most of the kids didn't even know what they meant, but of course the adults did.

InsaneCdn

I always thought a mom should tone it down...call me a prude. She wants to wear a sexy cocktail dress? Do it on date night when Daughter is with grandma.
I'm on your page... In fact, I go one farther... a married woman needs to tone it down. And then, tone down again if/when you have kids. That is not being a prude. That is being respectful to your mate... and to your kids.