Influenza

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yes, very sad. The boy was from Mexico and was visiting Texas with family. All the family members are healthy, though. They don't think he had the virus when he came here -- he picked it up somewhere along the way, so officials are trying to retrace the family's travels.

The very young are often hit harder by seasonal flu bugs. That's why they are in the "high risk" group of people who are recommended to get the vaccine each year.

Star*

call 911........call 911
And it all started HERE near Columbia, SC at a private Newberry SC Prep school.

I maintain NOTHING good comes from here but me, everywoman and stands...lol

1tiredmama

That is sad, this whole thing is sad and has my children scared to go to school.

KTMom91

An elementary school was closed in the South Valley (about an hour away from me) because two kindergarteners have tested "probable." The district said they might reopen Friday, but they aren't sure.

Star*

call 911........call 911
This was local news about a week ago. They had closed the school because of the sick seniors......now they've gone public.

SRL

I just heard a news conference which said "probable" means 99% sure and the sample is being forwarded to the CDC for final confirmation.

1tiredmama

Do they quarantine these people that are probable? I hear they are sending the samples from Sacramento to the state but that can take a few days so are the people allowed to wander wound or are they trying to keep this under wraps?

eekysign

Would I be a bad person if I said I am sick-to-death of the Swine Flu hysteria? It's a slightly more severe version of the flu. It's also slightly more scary in the odds of mutation.

But as far as what it's actually done (infection rates, death rates, etc) it's practically the same as usual. Most of the confirmed deaths are children, or people with underlying medical problems, or both - just like every other flu. Majority of people heal up, without even medical attention. It responds to current treatments. Gov'Tourette's Syndrome are worried about the factors I mentioned before, that it could mutate more easily, and that it does seem a little stronger than usual - that's why WHO has their panties in a twist. ;)

But it's not the Godzilla of flus. Not yet, and it won't likely ever be. The "scariest" reports are from the mexican government and media - sorry if I don't exactly trust these "young healthy people are dying here!" reports, when that's not happening anywhere other than Mexico yet. If I get one more "here's how to protect yourself from swine flu" email at work espousing ideas that are not only false, but will actually hurt me (using Lysol kitchen-cleaning wipes as hand-washing tools???), I will SCREAM.

tiredmommy

Well, Eeky, as the mom of an asthmatic child... I am concerned. Duckie's chances for complications are higher because of her health profile. So I am watchful and cautious... and picking up some electrolyte drink to have in the house, just in case.

eekysign

Well, Eeky, as the mom of an asthmatic child... I am concerned. Duckie's chances for complications are higher because of her health profile. So I am watchful and cautious... and picking up some electrolyte drink to have in the house, just in case.

Oh, of course. I'm not saying don't be concerned. I'm not complaining about watchful moms. :) I'm complaining about watchful moms telling me to use Lysol on my hands. Hahaha. The misinformation, the unsupported hysteria - that's the stuff I'm talking about. People running out to buy masks, when they offer little to no protection at all, but no one bothers to actually CHECK this stuff out before they run around like a chicken with their head cut off. Geh!

But as of this date, there is no PROOF that this is anything worse than a nasty flu bug. Anyone remember the, what, Hong Kong flu of 1994-1995? I was knocked out for two weeks with that one, lost 15lbs right before I started high school! (which wasn't so bad, really!:tongue:) Or the Asian Bird Flu?

I'm just saying it's all a little out of proportion. Pandemic means massive infection, not necessarily one causing death. WHO's warnings aren't out of line - because "Level 5" warnings just mean there's a chance it could get dicey. Not that it is dicey.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't think it's hysteria. Govts don't pipe up about something just to cause panic.....most especially several govts together.

This isn't just the "swine flu". This virus is a mix of the avain, swine, and human strains of the flu. It has the potential to be of great danger to the population. That doesn't mean that it will turn out that way, but the danger is there.

We'd be furious if govts attempted to keep this "under wraps" and it went haywire.

No need for anyone to panic at this point. But to be cautious and watchful is definately a good idea.

As for this toddler, did anyone notice he returned from mexico on April 4th? That's a months worth of exposure to other people. whew

eekysign

As for this toddler, did anyone notice he returned from mexico on April 4th? That's a months worth of exposure to other people. whew

Huh? The kid was from Mexico, visiting relatives in TX, not returning from anywhere. He was sick by April 8th, and therefore, probably not getting out all that much. He was admitted into the hospital by April 13th. What news report are you seeing a month from? That's bizarre, haven't seen that.

Last edited:

trinityroyal

About 6 years ago here in Toronto, there was a massive outbreak of respiratory illness, originating mainly with people returning from a specific country overseas. At first, people thought it was a flu or bronchitis, until they all started to drop dead.

Because officials in the originating country were not clear about the nature or virulence of the disease, it had an opportunity to take hold and wreak havoc.

Until the Health Care system figured out what SARS was and how to contain and treat it, a lot of people got very very ill.

Frankly, I`d rather have the information and bulletins. The reporting I`ve heard doesn`t seem to be at panic level. It seems well informed and clear. Anecdotal advice from colleagues and acquaintances...now that, I can take or leave.

Trinity

DammitJanet

LOL...they are being aggressive in making sure that Marines are not exposing themselves to other Marines. Ok...that was just a sentence that should not have been written.

witzend

Back in the 1970's when we had our first swine flu outbreak I caught it. I was only about 10 but I do remember having a 105 fever and being miserable. I also remember how panicked everyone was about it. Thankfully, we have treatments for the flu now, like Tamiflu. The US government has 50 million treatments on hand, and they have been distributing them widely in the past few days. It's important to not take the drugs unless you've been diagnosis'd as it will strengthen the flu's resistance to the drugs. I hope that there will be clinics available for people who think that they may have the flu but have no regular means of medical care.