Info about GABA

overwhelmedmama

I have a 5-year-old difficult child who has lots of aggression, anger, social skill problems. No one in my rural area will see her until she is 6. A friend did some research and said that GABA is supposed to be good for such children. Does anyone have info on this? Also is Mellatonin safe for her for sleep? What about my 9-year-old difficult child with ADHD who is currently on Ritalin? Can he take Mellatonin?
I'd sure be grateful for any input!

Lothlorien

You should ask your pediatrician about giving Melatonin. Pedi will probably recommend Benedryl, which I absolutely detest, because I think it makes my daughter behave horribly for several days after she stops taking it.

Your 9 year old should be able to take Melatonin, but I would start out with the lowest dose possible. I do believe they make 1 mg. tabs. I have 3 mg. tabs and cut them in half to start with my daughter. If that doesn't help, I'll give her the other half.

I don't know what GABA is. If it is what I think it is, I think it is just brand name for Omega fatty acids, no? Omega fatty acids are good for everyone to take. You can get ripped off online with some of them, so if you have a good health food store, you can check with them. You can also check Amazon (through the site to help support our site) for Omega 3 6 9. They have all three Omega acids and are really the best for targeting some of the issues you are referring to.

Lastly, no one in your area will see her until she's six? Call your local children's hospital and ask for a mutli-disciplinary evaluation or write a letter to your school district and ask for the evaluation. Check out the spec. ed forum for more info on that.

N

Nomad

I have heard Inositol works well on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety for people. (But of course you should double check with- a physician or other qualified medical professional)

I have seen on-line where people buy pharmaceutical grade powder from Jarrow and save money this way. Small dosages are always best when trying new things.

http://www.iherb.com/
This mixes into juice with no unpleasant taste.

Other things used for anxiety include the B vitamins, Vitamin D, and Fish Oil.

I know GABA is a neurotransmitter and I wonder if this is what they are referring to.
Here is a product at iherb:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1167&at=0
I am not at all familiar with it; but there are reviews about it.

Melatonin is often very good to help a person sleep. You can buy very small dosages at Life Extention (www.lef.org), which might be ideal for young children. Although you would have to check this with a doctor, my guess is that your child can take Melatonin for sleep.

Last edited:

overwhelmedmama

Thank you both. The GABA they are referring to is the neurotransmitter. As to the school district evluation, she is in PreK due to her October birthday. Since PreK is voluntary in our state, they don't take referrals unless they are ESE. She is learning well, so they won't even consider her for that as yet. Regarding the local children's hospital, the closest one is 4 hours away. My family situation makes travel difficult. I will try some of the other suggestions though, one at a time, and see if they help. I am very grateful for the input and replies.

cfa3

*** i also live in FL and am a Special Education teacher and have a 9 yr old son with ADHD, behavior and emotional anger and rage problems. I can direct you on how to get your daughter services NOW.

i am also looking into GABA, i hear its an amino acid? im going to ask my sons pediatrician if he can (if its covered by ins) test his amino acids Occupational Therapist (OT) have a better idea what to give him. I may be wrong that GABA is an amino. i have tried the Jarrow Inositol, didnt seem to do anything for us but every person is different. my son also has bad Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety.

my son does take 1 mg of high quality melatonin ('Biochem' 1 mg from "country life", i buy it easily online) and it has beena life saver, it puts him to sleep within 15 minutes and doesnt appear to have any side effects, at least i hope not! i am told it is safe but truth is they dont have enough research to know either way, although it is at least an all natural hormone found in humans. i dont see how or why melatonin and ritalin wouldnt mix, melatonin is all natural and not a chemical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lothlorien

CFA, although your offer sounds very nice, this is an extremely public website and we don't advise anyone to give out personal information, especially to a new member, such as yourself.

cfa3

I am so sorry! I did not mean to suggest anything innapropriate, I can offer any info I have publicly with no problem, sorry about that! :)

crazymama30

GABA is a neurotransmitter in the brain, it is effected by the benzo's such as ativan, xanax, klonopin and so on. It is thought to effect anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I do not believe it is available in a supplement, though there may be supplements available to increase/decrease its availability in the brain, similiar to how 5 HTP increases serotonin production.