Info on SOPA PIPA

DammitJanet

Thanks Lisa. I was too young to burn my bra in the sixties but I will go down in flames over this one...lol. I had to explain to Tony that the video song was a protest song like all the songs in the 60's because he just wasnt getting it...lol.

skeeter

We, as well as many musicians, took our site down on the 18th and linked to the anti - SOPA/PIPA website. The bill is horribly written, with the most important part being NO recourse. Say you post a photo of your child at a McDonald's. The photo AND THE SITE THE PHOTO IS ON can both be taken down, and there is nothing that can be done.
Some of our music files have been pirated. Our only recourse is to "join" ASCAP or BMI (for a fee, of course). And I'm sure either of them are going to be real concerned over a couple of mountain dulcimer players.
I also have absolutely no problem with paying for intellectual property - we do it when we record a song. I have a problem paying lawyers that represent ASCAP and BMI. Several friends have been members of these groups for years and have yet to see ONE check.

DammitJanet

I really hopes everyone realizes the enormity of what these bills would do to the internet AND our freedoms. It would actually make the entire internet into just ONE entire DNS server that the government would monitor and we all know how well the government does anything. Not only that it would make that one server a huge risk for a terrorist physical or hacker attack. Already our government has had its servers attacks by hackers all over the world and had them taken down several times. Remember the Wikeleaks problem and when the military system got hacked and all the information was leaked onto the web for a few hours? That could happen with ease but it would take everything down and we would lose everything. All our information would be put out there. Or they would just shut us down completely. Instead of hitting a building, they would hit the building holding our servers. That would really shut down our country if we only had one server running our country. And make no mistake, if this happens in the United States, it will happen in the rest of the world in short order.

Ironically yesterday I got an email from my state congressman who really has no ability to help with this but I sent him an email pleading with him to find a way to work with his colleagues and notify his constituents back here about the issues and ask them to contact our congressmen to tell him to vote No. He sends out emails very frequently so maybe he will help.