Info on therapies

klmno

I've been researching therapies this weekend and found a bit of information that I thought might help others.

There is a therapy called "family-focused therapy" which is where the therapist works with the entire family/caregivers to educate them on the diagnosis, help with coping and preventative strategies, problem-solving, etc. Of course, if there is something going on in the family that is "triggering" episodes, it would help identify and correct that, too. This therapy is listed in several issues of the Journal for American Academy of Child and Adolescent Pshychiatry. It has been around for several years and was discussed in an article printed in the New York Times. It is described as:

Family-focused therapy, as it is called, breaks the image of the psychiatrist sitting in his chair, alone in a room with the patient, as well as the traditional wisdom that patient confidentiality is sacrosanct. In family therapy, the family might be treated as part of the problem; in contrast, in family-focused therapy the point is not to treat relatives, but to enlist their help in managing the patient's illness.

It is recommended for several psychiatric disorders in kids, especially BiPolar (BP), in the psychiatric journals. When I did a google search for it, I did not find it listed in any journal or website for psychologists. (I have no idea why psychologists wouldn't be writing about this as much as psychiatrists, especially since it is a recommended psychotherapy, along with individual CBT.) I did find it on an individual psychologist's website (in Colorado or somewhere far from me). There has apparently, been a lot written about it this past year, I guess due to the increase of BiPolar (BP) diagnosis's.

I hope this can help someone besides me!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmm I still like the concept of button pushing therapy, where the psychiatrist literally and intentionally pushes difficult child's buttons, envoking a full fledged melt down, and forcing difficult child to practice coping skills while melting down. Because difficult child II knows his coping skills backwards and forwards, he could teach coping skills, but when he goes they go out the window. Kinda like when I took Lamaze, it really went out the window when the pain started, but I was a star pupil in the class!!!

klmno

LOL, AOG! I think this is referring to the earlier stages- when the difficult child hasn't yet learned those coping skills, and methods to help them learn- ways that parents can help, etc.

Jena

i've heard of this before and yes it is amazing that it isn't spoken of more. thanks for taking the time to share this.

jen

I've been researching therapies this weekend and found a bit of information that I thought might help others.

There is a therapy called "family-focused therapy" which is where the therapist works with the entire family/caregivers to educate them on the diagnosis, help with coping and preventative strategies, problem-solving, etc. Of course, if there is something going on in the family that is "triggering" episodes, it would help identify and correct that, too. This therapy is listed in several issues of the Journal for American Academy of Child and Adolescent Pshychiatry. It has been around for several years and was discussed in an article printed in the New York Times. It is described as:

It is recommended for several psychiatric disorders in kids, especially BiPolar (BP), in the psychiatric journals. When I did a google search for it, I did not find it listed in any journal or website for psychologists. (I have no idea why psychologists wouldn't be writing about this as much as psychiatrists, especially since it is a recommended psychotherapy, along with individual CBT.) I did find it on an individual psychologist's website (in Colorado or somewhere far from me). There has apparently, been a lot written about it this past year, I guess due to the increase of BiPolar (BP) diagnosis's.

I hope this can help someone besides me!

Superpsy

How long exactly has the therapy been around (some aspects of it sound familiar to me but I've never heard of it called family focused therapy)? I ask because there often is a disconnect between academia and field practice. It usually takes a little while for "trickle-down" to occur. That could be why it's not mentioned more...?

Also, I don't know the research on family focused therapy but I do know about the research on CBT. Perhaps family focused therapy has been found to not be effective (in research)?

Thanks for sharing the info. It sounds like a path to pursue.

DazedandConfused

he could teach coping skills, but when he goes they go out the window. Kinda like when I took Lamaze, it really went out the window when the pain started, but I was a star pupil in the class!!!

I know this is off topic, but this just made me laugh because I can so relate.

I promised myself that *I* was going to be "dignified" and use all techniques I had learned in class. I CERTAINLY wasn't going to cry out in pain like the woman I heard in the next room!

After I was induced and the medication really kicked in, I screamed and cursed so loud that any difficult child would have been very proud!

klmno

LOL! I don't know anybody who made it into the club of "gave birth gracefully"- I know I sure didn't!

How long exactly has the therapy been around (some aspects of it sound familiar to me but I've never heard of it called family focused therapy)? I ask because there often is a disconnect between academia and field practice. It usually takes a little while for "trickle-down" to occur. That could be why it's not mentioned more...?

Also, I don't know the research on family focused therapy but I do know about the research on CBT. Perhaps family focused therapy has been found to not be effective (in research)?

Apparently, this was first developled/explored in the 1980's, I think it said. One of the well-known places for BiPolar (BP) started using it then. It has been studied for effectiveness and based on what I found on the internet, it is very effective with several psychiatric disorders, but less effective for schizophrenia than for BiPolar (BP). Of course, I can't vouch for the credibility of what I find on the web, but I didn't find anything negative said about it. I would hope that it wouldn't be in several psychiatric journals as a recommendation for treatment of BiPolar (BP) (along with the other treatments- like medications, individual CBT counseling) if it hadn't been checked into.

Also wanted to add- I think some parents may already be involved in this and just don't realize it. You know, a lot of time tdocs don't inform you of what type of therapy or method they are using. (like a dr tells you that he's giving you an antibiotic, a psychiatrist says he's prescribing a MS, a therapist just says "trust me" LOL!)

Last edited: