Ins. Question

pasajes4

I understand that some parents woyld want to help their children by paying the copay for their adult children. I would do so in my son's case, but he has refused to maintain treatment that was recommended and prescribed by a psychiatristtor and a therapist. He chise to self medicate and is now facing the consequences. I would step in and help him if he were serious about doing the work necessary to straighten his life out, but so far all i am getting is that i need to get him out of there he has things to do.

dstc_99

You should check the laws in your state. I know that with the new rules that allow kids to stay on your insurance until they are much older that some people are having issues with getting stuck with their kids bills. I had a friend whose daughter moved away and had a kid. He was stuck with the bill. When he found out she was pregnant again he wanted to make sure he got her off his insurance. The only way to do it according to his insurance (yes I called to confirm this with our insurance personnel) was to drop the insurance for his whole family then sign back up a month later when the sign ups were open again. I thought it was crazy!

pasajes4

The only way to do it according to his insurance (yes I called to confirm this with our insurance personnel) was to drop the insurance for his whole family then sign back up a month later when the sign ups were open again. I thought it was crazy!

My ins. is through the teacher retirement system and I am waiting for them to get back to me on my liability for him.

DoneDad

I'm a retired teacher also. I had to wait until the open enrollment period in the Fall to drop my kids. It was costing more than $400/month to keep them on it. They're 23 and 25. At this point both d c's.

We've asked them several times if they've signed up on Covered California. All we get is excuses.

At this point, it not my circus, not my monkeys.

Lil

I understand that some parents woyld want to help their children by paying the copay for their adult children.

I hope you don't think I was suggesting you should pay the copays. I only paid my son's because I ran it through my cafeteria plan and needed to pay it in order to get the money back. I'd rather the hospital get my money than the state. But he was advised that I could only do that until he turned 20. After that, we were done.

I find it interesting that keeping a child on your insurance as an adult (to age 26 is allowed) is causing some people to get stuck with the bills. I can't think of how that would happen absent some kind of document signed by the insuring parent guaranteeing payment.