Insane

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. That's me.

I signed up for a membership at our local Y with easy child. I want a garden this summer, and if I plan that I have to be able to move. Several years on my fanny for school, I'm so out of shape it's not even funny, really it's not.

easy child and I were walking in the mornings. But bitter cold before dawn is just not working for me. That is my worst time of the day, putting me into the cold in the dark is a big mistake. lol It's not looking like my own treadmill will be unburied from the family room before spring. Plus I need to work out all over, not just the walking. We're still going before dawn......just won't be working out in the frigid cold.

Yesterday we signed up and worked out for about a half hour - 45 mins. I tried some machine that is supposed to be "like going up steps", that one didn't last long. lol Then used the bike for about 20 mins. Today we worked out for 1 1/2 hrs. Started with the treadmill. by the way no one warned me you have to get used to the "feel" of this equipment, not just the fancy controls. I got on and thought it was gonna shoot me off the back. lol Got used to it when I adjusted the pace for faster. Did that for 2 miles. Then the bike for 2 miles. Then I tried the one that is supposed to be like skiing......ok that was weird at first but did it not too horribly bad about 10 mins. Then did some weights so we could include the upper body.

I may not be able to move in the morning. But planning to go back. The Y is anything but cheap and by darn I plan to get my money's worth.

I want to keep the yard up, work in the garden digging and hoeing ect ect without feeling like I'm killing myself (or worse, actually kill myself).

But I'll tell ya, looking at people more than twice my age going at this equipment like a 20 yr old is daunting. I am impressed at what many of them can do. I know they didn't start out that good, and I keep reminding myself of that. It's a process, and I'm not gonna give myself a heart attack trying to keep up with them. I'll work my way up there slowly.

easy child does have me worried a bit. She's fighting hypothyroidism and trying to lose weight. That makes it hard. She's doing really good. But I think she's obsessing too much over the exercise part and is over doing it. I'm the one who has had the heart attack, yet she's the one who's heart rate goes dangerously high while working out. I talked to her about it today. She said she reached a word for *flattened out piece of land* (d@mn spell check isn't helping my brain) in the weight loss and kept telling me she had to change it up. I said fine, changing it up doesn't mean you have to over work yourself. I said if you're over exercising to keep losing weight fast, and your body gets used to that, then my gosh how much exercise is it going to take to maintain that loss when you reach your goal? ya know? Yes, she's obsessing over it.

I'm glad she's doing well. I'm just worried she's pushing too darn hard. You can't do that for something meant to be a lifestyle change. Hopefully she'll mellow on it fairly soon and I can stop worrying.

If I lose weight I'm not going to complain. My goal is just to get back up to my normal activity level and to have some body strength again.

Right now though...........I am so sore. lol Nichole came down today to help me clean and get my stockpile organized. So I did all that work out then came home and did that most of the day. I'm ready for bed and it's not even 7pm yet. :rofl: I'm such a wuss.

buddy

That is just wonderful! I am super jealous. I drive my neighbor to a lifetime fitness and she always feels so much better after she goes. she invited me on a guest pass and I swam for an hour. It was wonderful. I love summer because I am so active but winter kills me. I hate the cold too!

You are doing great. Wonderful that easy child is going too. Let us know how you progress and keep your heating pad and advil close.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Good for you, Lisa! My goal this Spring is to become stronger so I can do all the things I used to do!

easy child should take advantage of the trainers on hand at the y to help her find ways to battle that plateau feeling-it's very common and ove working out is not always the way to go.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,
It's great that you are working out!!!! The pain will be temporary and after a workout you can't help but feel better.

InsaneCdn

Don't forget to add swimming to the mix.
And if they have a hot-tub or sauna, get yourself in there when you are done...

And... SLOW DOWN. You do NOT want to be stiff the next day.
A wee bit sore, maybe. But NOT STIFF.

And by the way? I thought you wanted ME to answer some other question... I'm the one who is INSANE.
You? You're just crazy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful

OMG yes! Thanks Trinity! Could not spell it right to save my life and stupid spell check wasn't helping worth a phht. lol

LOL IC. I'm not super pushing it. I had to up the pace on the treadmill because I'm used to walking Molly, who by the way walks really fast, I tried it at the slower pace and it was driving me crazy. The rest I did take it pretty easy. Kept up a good pace but didn't push myself by any means. The weights we did, I only did like 10-20 at a comfortable weight. I know how to start out slow and work my way up, doesn't normally take me too long as long as I don't over do and make myself too sore in the process.

Yes I want to take advantage of the pool but that won't be for a while yet. This body hasn't seen a swim suit since Nichole was like ohhh 7 yrs old. lol When I work myself up out of the "embarrassing stage" I'd like to try some of their classes. Like I said, I plan to get my money's worth.

H

HaoZi

Good luck! Remember to get that protein right after your workout to rebuild the muscle.