Insight into back/joint pain please...

tiredmommy

I've been experiencing joint pain that coincides with my period for the last several months. It's absolutely horrid: I have trouble typing and holding a mug. My ankles hurt horribly and my feet/toes cramp up. My neck & shoulders hurt, my wrists are sore. And my lower back/hips are so sore that I've start to catch myself shuffling my feet rather than walking properly. I'm able to walk normally, and do have range of motion but I'm too stiff & sore to maintain. I'm supposed to be taking up to 4 extra strength Motrin when the pain begins, but I've had to stop because it's making my IBS unbearable.

I'm physically miserable and the pain hasn't faded away like it did in the past. Does anyone have any insight into what may be happening to me?

M

ML

No insights but lots of hugs... lavendar oil, bubble bath, tylenol (I know it doesn't work as well), heating pad and rest. (((((tiredmommy))))))

I'm so glad to be on the other end of things :)

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmm perhaps I know acid increases during your menstrual cycle, I would be curious if it might not be the gout. Which is painful crystals bewteen your joints, caused by acid and dehydration. Try having some marischino cherries and see a Dr.

<<<HUGS>>>

F

flutterbee

Time for a trip to the doctor. My periods made me miserable and caused all kinds of physical symptoms, but nothing like that.

Instead of motrin, try enteric coated aspirin. It's an NSAID and is easier (at least for me) on the stomach and IBS issues. The enteric coated is the important part.

Oh...and more water to see if that helps with the muscle cramps. Especially if you have IBS issues which can cause you to lose more fluid. Everytime you think about it, have a glass of water. If it's from being mildly dehydrated, the muscle cramps should resolve quickly with increased intake. If not, then you've at least ruled that out.

SRL

Hmmmm, this made me think back to the times when I had a hormone wash after giving birth and had severe joint and body aches. No kidding--with all three kids five days after giving birth I always felt like a train hit me, and it had nothing to do with the physical exertion of the delivery itself.

I also occasionally get joint pain that I suspect is arthritis (we have a strong family history). I googled arthritis and menstrual cycle and did see this:

Can the inflammation of arthritis be aggravated by the monthly menstrual cycle? There are hormone changes that can affect the intensity of inflammation and also fluid shifts that can increase the swelling of joints at different times in the menstrual cycle. While some patients clearly describe fluctuations in symptoms, many other patients do not.

TerryJ2

My guess is that it's hormonal. I'd check with-your obgyn and see if you can get endocrine tests. Can you take hormones, aka, The Pill? Or are you already on it? Maybe be time for a change.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was also thinking a hormonal trigger. While going thru the hormonal rollercoaster with menopause, my joints ached horribly during my cycle when my body decided to have one. Actually all menstral symptoms grew worse as I got further into it. Including the PMS. (which the family did not appreciate lol) Now that the cycles have stopped, so have the symptoms. *knock on wood*

tiredmommy

Thanks for the replies. I've always been lucky with my cycle before this... very little bloating, cramps, etc. And I'm not having any menstrual cramping, just joint pain. I'm going to have to get with my family doctor and maybe the chiro. I'm not handling this well at all, I'm much too accustomed to being on the move but now I hurt too much to do so. Ugh.

Lothlorien

You may want to check with a rheumatologist. He/she can order tests. Just make sure that you do the bloodwork during one of these episodes.

DammitJanet

Have you guys noticed an increase in muscle/joint/back pain problems on the board lately?

I do think maybe there is something catching and maybe Timer Lady and I have infected all of you...lol.

Pam R

For me, wheat, sugar, and nightshades (potato, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant) cause pain. Cutting them out does make a huge difference in my pain levels.

I've heard these can affect rheumatoid arthritis too, these foods.

Pam R.

Stella Johnson

I used to have horrible periods too. My doctor put me on continuous birth control (Seasonique) about 5 or 6 years ago. I only have a period every 3 months now. I've been on it so long that even when I do have a period it is only spotting for a few hours. It is AWESOME. I have never felt better.

I have to warn you though. When I first started taking it, I bled for about 6 weeks until my body adjusted but it was well worth it in the long run.

Steph

tiredmommy

So we went to the theme park today. My lower back started bothering me and I noticed I was shuffling my feet again. So I made the effort to lift my legs and bend my knees. My left hip was actually clicking! Time for the chiro, definitely. I'll still be calling my family doctor, too so I can get referrals.

donna723

I hope you get to feeling better and that the doctor can figure out what's causing it. It's just miserable to hurt all the time.

Just don't do what I did! Yesterday they had on a marathon of that TV series, "Mystery Diagnosis", and everything they showed on there sounded just like ME! The brain tumor symptoms, the kid who was born with his stomach above his diaphram instead of below it, the weird rare syndromes that maybe 10 people in the whole world actually have, they all started sounding like ME! :sick: I'd see one episode and could swear that I had that, then the next one would come on and I was pretty sure I had that too! :sad-very:

Good luck ... and get yourself to a doctor! You shouldn't have to hurt!

TerryJ2

Donna, sounds like you should quit watching that show. :)

I know what you mean by being so used to being on the go, that this is a huge frustration, TM. I pulled a muscle in my thigh a cpl days ago and am very upset about it. It really cuts into my activities. Grrr.

Best of luck with-the chiro and blood tests. Let us know.