Insulted....is this petty?

muttmeister

I don't think you're being petty BUT neither would I lower myself to her level. If your son really wants to go to the party, I'd let him go; if not don't. Birthday gifts don't have to be expensive; kids just like to get something - they don't care so much what it is. In either case, I'd RSVP - maybe she has no manners and needs to be taught by example. Maybe she did have too much on her plate: I''ve been there done that. Maybe the invite got lost. Maybe she's just a jerk. But that doesn't mean you have to be one. Respond whether you're sending him or not. It will be a good example for her, AND FOR YOU SON to see how to respond to an invitation.

svengandhi

Does Mighty want to pursue a friendship with this boy? If he does, then I say go; if not, decline.

This is about your son, not your hurt feelings. How do you know this woman isn't dealing with sick relatives, fears of unemployment or any other issues that could have caused setting up a playdate to slip down her list of priorities? Maybe she is embarrassed that she forgot to RSVP (assuming her son gave her the invitation) and is trying to make amends.

If your son wants to go, let him. If you really don't want to deal with this woman, drop him off or have someone else take him.