Insurance question

mom_to_3

I would say no you are not responsible for the deductible or co-insurance for your adult son even if you are paying for the insurance. As Sig advised, I would revoke my signature at his pediatrician and dentist. Even if you didn't, I can't imagine a medical or dental office looking at you to pay an adults bill.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
FWIW, my granddaughter is 18 and on our insurance. She recently had a hospital stay and all bills were sent to her. It was all paid for by the insurance, however, we did not receive the bills she did.

dstc_99

Lil it was September so he could have dropped then re enrolled in October which is our open season.

Please God let me be wrong! I hated what I was told.

Lil

Okay...that would work I guess. We aren't allowed to either drop or add a person except during open enrollment and that is only the month of October. So it would be impossible for us to drop someone, then reenroll a month later. But again, that's us.

I'm the original poster. My son is covered for 2015 with our insurance. If he is on our insurance and responsible for his bills, the way his life is now, he will not be able or willing to pay his bills and then it would affect his credit. So maybe it would be better for us to drop him and him to get on public assistance (or hopefully have a job that would have insurance).

Lil

A lot could happen in a year. In some states, even if you have insurance, if you are eligible for public assistance (Medicaid) you can have both. Then the insurance is primary, but Medicaid acts as a secondary insurance and pays the copayments/deductibles. That way he doesn't have those bills to pay. However, generally for an adult to get Medicaid they have to be deemed disabled, which is (loosely) defined as unable to work for at least a year.

It's always worth the time to apply...although Medicaid is Federal, every state is somewhat different with requirements.

stressedmama

During open enrollment a couple months ago, I dropped my 2 easy child's that are 22 and 24 as I couldn't afford the new premium with having them both on my policy. As it stands now, I am paying the same premium now for just myself and youngest easy child (17 yrs old) as I was for myself, husband and 3 easy child's prior to the Not-So-Affordable HC Act. And I have higher deductibles, higher co-pays and less coverage.

stressedmama

Oh, and middle easy child, although working full time, has our 2 yr old GD and can't afford insurance on her own, can't afford the exchange and was denied by medicaid. difficult child wasn't working, getting all kinds of state help and has medicaid. Go figure...I just wish there was some equality.

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
The only way you would be responsible is if at the time of registration you are signed up as the guarantor. Most HC providers will not let a parent sign for a patient older than 18 anyway. Insurance or not, ask the HC provider to remove you (the parent) from that assignment