Interesting conversation about bipolar's poor memories

BusynMember

This thread is representative of what adult bipolars talk about a lot--our poor memories. Most of us have always had very poor memories, distraction, and we forget things five minutes after we are told. Often we are terrible at names, dates, etc. and we seem thoughtless.

I think it is even worse for bipolar kids who haven't learned how to compensate yet. When we think of poor memory or spaciness or distraction, most people think of ADHD, but bipolar is right up there (and stims don't make it better). Thought I'd post this so moms can see how badly bipolar can affect your memory/follow through/ability to concentrate. I have experienced it first hand all of my life. I think what these women are talking about is very par-for-the-course with bipolar disorder. There are a lot of bipolars in my support group, and all of us have memory issues, regardless of age.

crazymama30

MWM, I can second that. husband is BiPolar (BP), and he literally cannot remember carp. It is horrible. I leave him notes in the morning to take his medications (he is not against taking them, just can't remember). We can have 2 conversations about something and he will have no recollection of it. With hub, he many times seems thoughtless but I would also add he is many times socially clueless or inappropriate. He will say things that you would say once you get in the car, but he will say them in the middle of the store. Many times his voice is loud. Or he is quiet due to being anxious so then people think he is mad at them as he is not talking much. Oh, I could go on and on about this topic. Right now husband is more of a difficult child than difficult child!!

M

ML

I know you said its irrespective of age but since the change and all the scrambled hormones I have felt bipolar lol. Also, my short term memory has taken a distinct dive. I used to be very good at multitasking and tracking and now my dayplanner and outlook are my brain.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Very interesting article. My difficult child is bipolar along with other things including executive function problems so he must be double whammied in the memory department, I swear it's true-he can't remember anything1

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
It is interesting to me that my bipolar husband had a memory like a steel trap UNTIL he started to take all the medications to cure the problem! I will ask him to read this article. Thank you!

BusynMember

The medications don't help...lol. But in all seriousness they are necessary to function and most people with bipolar had terrible memories with or without medication. Their minds race and they are thinking of twelve things at one time and they are sort of ADHD, but on speed ;)

Thanks for posting this. I never thought about this before - difficult child 1 definitely has problems remembering things!!! I'm glad you post here about what it is like to be an adult with bipolar - I often wonder what life will be like for difficult child 1.

Thanks again. WFEN

DammitJanet

I had an excellent memory before medications. I could learn so easily and quickly it just wasnt even funny. Now? I cant remember what day it is. I cant do simple math and my degree is in accounting! I can tell you that 2 for 4 bucks is 2 bucks a piece but much more than that and I am lost. Now I have developed the inability to recall names and faces. People come up to me and they know me but I have no idea who they are...so embarrassing.

DDD

difficult child had a lengthly evaluation by a neuro-psychiatric for Voc/Rehab. The first thing out of the evaluators mouth was that he has practically no memory. She is suggesting the a series of "feedback" sessions which she swears makes a big difference. We'll see if it's approved. Interestingly she commented "it works better when the patient is not on medication" but "it should help him considerably". DDD