Interesting part time job

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
SO has been helping his friend now on a regular basis clean out storage units and now has moved on to occasional bidding on the at auction for a dollar to ten to twenty. Has brought home more chachkis than we have room for.

I was checking the local flea markets for the price of a stand for a weekend (40 to 60.00) but got the bright idea of checking with the antique/collectible market in town who rent out spaces - 100.00 a month (month to month) for a 8 x 6 space, open 7 days a week. We don't even have to be there - they have a floor person who handles the sales, all you have to do is mark the item with a price and their coding system so they know it is your item,. They log it in for you and pay you at the end of the month with one check. Their take is 12.5%, but they cover paying the sales tax, electric and payroll of the floor person. We have decided to try it for a couple of months

Anything that is not collectible, like auto parts, boxes of tile, weight sets, household goods goes to difficult child who puts them up on Craigs list and gets half the profits, and scrap metal (nothing large like fridges or washers, more like bed frames, is stored till they have a bunch and is taken to the metal dealer.

Just throwing the idea out there for anyone looking to supplement their income or difficult child's to get working. The most time consuming part is looking the stuff up on line to get an idea of pricing.

Marcie

MyFriendKita

husband wants to do this when he retires. If you have a way to get the appliances to the scrap dealer, they bring a good amount at the scrap yard--something to do with the metal they use to make them.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
We have a truck but no way to store the appliances till they get a couple of them to take to the metal dealer. The guy they give them to for free right now because they can't store them and don't wanna pay the dump fees makes about 750 to 1,000 a week with just scrap metal appliances. They usually get one maybe two everytime they go out. I think the city I live in would have a fit about old appliances laying around - shoot, we are not even allowed to have our garbage cans outside - it a 100 fine if the drive by patrol sees them from the street LOL

MyFriendKita

I knew they brought quite a bit, but wow, I didn't know they brought that much! I think I'll quit my job and deal in scrap appliances, lol.

LittleDudesMom

difficult child and I love the show "Storage Wars" on TLC. It features four guys who go out and bid on mini-storage units!!

Sharon

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Have watched it as well Sharon- a lot of it is staged unfortunately. SO and his friend are at a lot of the auctions ready to haul to the dump when no one bids on them- sometimes there are groups of three or four people whose sole purpose is to jack up the bidding.

I go with them when they have a lot of units to do and find it amusing that the show never shows "real" units, the ones where people have destroyed and broken everything in there, are street horders and everything they find, trash, newspapers, broken stuff in other peoples trash are stored, or even worse, have been LIVING in them and find all kind of creative ways to make a toilet. There is a lot of "ewwwww" factors going on they don't show you on TV -nor do they ever show you the inter-city ones that make us go ewwww when a call comes in.

But you can get a lot of good stuff with price tags still on them - am just always amazed what people will pay to store though

Marcie

donna723

Apparently they do pay quite a bit for scrap metal. My son and some of his friends have gone to auto auctions before and bought up a few big old gas guzzler types that no one else would ever want. They take off all the usable parts and then sell what's left for scrap metal. They make a lot more off of it for scrap metal than it was ever worth as a car!

LittleDudesMom

Marcie - "reality" tv.........

Now you want to talk about finding some weird stuff - in our very early years together, bonehead and I used to clean out apartments when the tenants "up and left" or were evicted (before the laws changed and it was "illegal" to do lock outs). Talk about some gross stuff........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We have a low income couple that drives around town looking for scrap to supplement their disability. We set appliances and the like out for them. They always are considerate enough to knock on the door and ask before putting the items in their truck though. I don't own a truck to haul it away, and it helps them out. Win/win.

Cleaning out storage units is not for me. lol But I know a few people that do it as a side thing. To me it's just not worth the ewww factor.