Interesting phenomenen

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by timer lady, Apr 14, 2007.

1. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

kt is having/displaying fewer dissociative states. Having said that, we are witnessing these sames states while she is in the shower.

I feel the need to be in the bathroom while she is in her "altered" state. Some days it's a puppy, others it's a kitten or infant. Because she is in her "altered" state she doesn't protest the lack of privacy.

When I announce that shower/bath time is over there is a definite reconnection, if you will. Not immediately - generally within the next hour or so. kt seems so relaxed & in control after these times of disconnect.

kt sees therapist this coming week & I will bring it up. I find it to be refreshing because these states seem to be in a very controlled environment.

kt seems to have learned to select a "safe" environment.

Am I being clear? husband & I are documenting this for psychiatrist & therapist.
  2. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Is this a coping strategy for her? Choosing to do it in a safe situation may also be part of a coping strategy.

Just a thought.

3. timer lady

I'm hoping it is a coping strategy along with a bit of self awareness. I'm actually overjoyed to see these states in such a controlled environment versus in the park or car.
  4. jannie

jannie trying to survive....

I think this is very positive. She is finding a place to just self-calm. Does she ever take baths? If so, maybe she can listen to music while taking a bath and this too can help her relax...if so than maybe she can eventually learn to self-calm with soothing music and deep breathing.
  5. pepperidge

pepperidge New Member

they are not occuring in the shower etc because that was a locus of previous abuse?
  6. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sounds very positive Linda that they are in one place and she quickly comes back.
  7. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

I'm gathering before this she didn't disassociate in the shower?

I'm far from a professional, but it sounds as if she's trying to gain control of when and where these states happen. I'd say that a huge step.

Perhaps with time you could add soft music, soothing fragrances, and she could transfer the disassociative state for a soothing warm bath.
  8. timer lady

I've never seen kt in this state in the bath/shower before - it's just been occurring over the last week or so. And it hasn't happened anywhere else that I am aware of.

I'm hoping kt is trying to gain control - coming to terms with her hx. I know that we've been using EMDR at every therapist session since she's been discharged from Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

I'll try the soothing music & scents the next time she showers.