Interesting segment on Today Show...

LittleDudesMom

They have been doing a series about living with chronic diseases. Today they featured a story about a book entitled "Strong at the Broken Places" by Richard Cohen.

They featured a man named Larry who has BiPolar (BP). It was a wonderful glimpse of hope for those living with BiPolar (BP). He hit rock bottom (substance abuse, etc.) and said that bottoming out enhanced his motiviation. He said the biggest thing helping those living with mental illness is their awareness of what they are dealing with and the willingness to take action - the power of having a goal and dream can allow you to succeed. He commented that those living with mental illness have two battles to fight - their own mental illness and the perception of mental illness by society. He said that the mentally challanged deal with the soft discrimination of low expectations. I thought that final statement was incredibly telling.

I'm going to check this book out and see if they have it on Amazon. I believe the book deals with many illnesses, but shows how you can find the strength to survive and thrive in the "broken places".

Just wanted to share what was very uplifting and inspiring segment this morning.

Sharon

DammitJanet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleDudesMom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said that the mentally challanged deal with the soft discrimination of low expectations.</div></div>

This is really something that I have had to deal with even with professionals that should know better. I have had several doctors who have treated me who once they found out that I have bipolar acted like I should be in a corner drooling instead of actually being an intelligent woman. I can think, I can make decisions for myself and every once in a blue moon I can even have a thought that might be different from theirs!

TerryJ2

Interesting. I love the title, too.

Janet, are those doctors treating you for musculoskeletal problems, and then changing their attitudes once they find out about your BiPolar (BP)? Hmmm. Sounds like they need some education.
When I took my friend to the ER for his sawed finger, he mentioned his BiPolar (BP) during the history and no one even blinked. In the ER they just focus on the part that's bleeding. :smile:

DammitJanet

Terry...I have had several situations.

One time it was an ER doctor who yelled across the ER that "They had a bipolar in exam 23!" Now I was in there for pelvic pain that I suspected was a bladder infection headed into a kidney infection. Had nothing whatsoever to do with my bipolar but I had to give them my list of medications I was on and when they asked why I was on them I told them the truth...bipolar and not epilepsy.

One other time was a darned psychiatrist! He told my therapist that he suspected that the fact that I knew so much about medications and bipolar meant that I was grandiose! Uhhhh NO! I have just been dealing with it for a long time. Much longer than the few months that I had been seeing him. I also dont just blindly take any medication that someone throws at me without researching it. Trust me, I dont think there are many medications for bipolar that we havent been through for either Cory or me so I have looked into most of them!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Nice!!! Janet, I can just see them yelling... When I had N in the ER for her overdoase of my medications... the male nurse said very loudly "is she on the spectrum?" I laughed, and said, sometimes I wonder...
but I had to bite my toungue... from saying that is not the way to ask is it?

i will have to check out the Book!!!
Thanks!!!