Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) and ODD

cndylou

Hello. I'm new here and am having difficulty with my 11 yr old son. He is currently suspended from school for 4 days due to an outburst of behavior. We are currently seeking new MD for help. I am at wits end. He is Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) and ODD and I think very depressed. He does fine when he hets his way but when he doesn't ...........look out. He is becoming more physically aggressive. Has anybody been through this combination of diagnosis? If so what seemed to help? medications? Sorry to ramble on but I am in deperate need of advice. He had previously been on Tenex,Trilepal and Risperadol. They didn't seem to help. Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences.

Josie

I have a daughter, now 11, who was diagnosis'ed ODD and depression. She was taking Lexapro and we were looking at adding an antipsychotic or a mood stabilizer at the end. At that time, I took her to get a second opinion and that psychiatrist said it sounded like Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) to him. She was 9 and had been this way at least since she was 2.

Instead of adding a new medication, we started her on the gluten free diet. We saw an immediate improvement. We ended up having to do casein free as well. Now, it is clear to me that casein makes her mean. Gluten makes her irritable and defiant. She is completely off all medications now and doing fine, unless she has even the tiniest trace of gluten or casein. I consider her "cured" although there are relapses when she cheats on her diet.

I believe that if she were still eating gluten and casein, we would never find a medicine that really worked because she would still have the underlying problem.