Into the Void....

dcwsaranac

I hear music...
OK, I knew this was going too well with the doctors.

medication doctor didn't advise either for or against, but made available to us one of two tranquilizers to help with mood and impulsiveness when ADHD (Metadate) is not in effect.

I passed since I didn't think the level of ODD warranted it yet - I want to try counseling/therapy. (Yes, I am getting the book - but I don't do well with making sense of the books - I do better with face-to-face)

I just found out that a diagnoses of ADHD/ODD does not qualify for therapy benefits from our insurer.

My wife fall into that wonderful barren wasteland called "middle income" - we both work, and are barely getting by, but don't qualify for any type of asistance.

Any recommendations?

Sheila

A child with-ADHD is typically emotionally about 2/3 his chronological age. Your signature doesn't indicate how old your difficult child is, but talk therapy with young children is often ineffective. Play therapy for children with-emotional problems like abuse, divorce, etc., can be helpful. Just my $0.02 worth on the therapy issue.

dcwsaranac

I hear music...
He's six. I've been told about the emotional/social delay, but didn't think to apply it here.

I'm putting an email together for the psychologist and want to get his take.

Hope the books get here soon and make sense. Sounds like a revised parenting plan and another dose of patience is going to be our best plan for now.

Any thoughts on the tranq? I know that the psychostimulants have a different effect on ADHD than non-ADHD people. Same true of tranquilizers?

LittleDudesMom

I would like you to clarify tranquilizers. Exactly what two medications did the doctor mention? And certainly every medication, even asprin, has different effects on different folks. Everyone metabolizes medications differently.

I must graciously disagree with Sheila on the talk therapy. It definately helped my son at a young age (not to mention allowing him to forge a trusting bond with the therapist as he began to grow and express and share more). Just as medications react differently, so does therapy - every kid is touched or reached in a different way. And there are good therapist, not so good therapists, and bad therapists.

If you are not sold on adding any additional medications right now, you must really work on the behavior mod piece. I'm not sure what books you are referring to, but I would imagine The Explosive Child is one of them - great place to start! The most effective treatment for adhd is a multi-tiered program. medications, behavior mod, and therapy if needed. No one thing is going to make night into day in the case of an adhd child.

Setting clear expectations for behavior going into every situation is a good way to start. And setting the consequences for deviating from those expections, and meeting them consistently is a huge piece. Another piece is making sure that he has supports in school.

Sorry that I don't have any words of wisdom regarding the psychiatrist. I'm suprised your insurance company turned down therapy - most insurance carriers consider therapy part of the pysc outpatient coverage. Doesn't matter why you go if you need to go.

Sharon

susiestar

Roll With It
I think that with many kids talk therapy is not effective while they are young. It certainly was with my son, but he was certainly NOT in the norm. Usually it is a good idea to get therapy for the adjusted age, even if therapist balks at first. After getting to know the situation it usually works out.

Call the psychiatrist or send a letter/email explaining the insurance issue. You will NOT be the first to find that insurance does not cover therapy for ADHD/ODD. Ask the psychiatrist if the diagnosis can be "tweaked" so that insurance will cover things. Also try county mental health, though there may be a long wait at first.

Sorry about the problems, insurance problems are the LAST things needed after dealing with our difficult children.

Hugs,

Susie