Is he just stupid, or what?

So Tired

I have been wondering about this for awhile. How can a kid that is actually quite intelligent have such a lack of common sense? I am begining to think that it is more of a lack of coping skills. If something is new and "scary" or just seems like too much effort, they will resist doing anything about it, thinking the problem will just magically go away. Like your son missing his class because he couldn't find the right room, overslept, etc. Seems like maybe he has anxiety over the class and avoids it through these actions, but doesn't seem to think through to the fact that now the problem has grown, not gone away. I have noticed this pattern in my son -- He will do almost anything to avoid having to do anything outside his comfort zone. Lack of coping skills? Lack of confidence? Maybe just a difference in stye -- I like to take care of problems quickly since I am such a worry-wart. It really galls me when day after day passes and he does NOTHING remotely responsible.

I know it is hard, but try not to get sucked into his worries. Help him when you want to -- if it is convient for you and doesn't cause you any hardship, but try not to worry constantly about consequences that are, ultimately, his.