Is is a tick if

rejectedmom

They can control it but are not aware it is happening unless someone tells them? easy child/difficult child is on Resperdal. His leg will bounce up and down rapidly while he is sitting watching TV, reading, having a conversation, or eating. It is very annoying to the people around him. He is trying to get permission to return to work and I am afraid that this disruptive behavior will get in the way of that goal. Is it a tick? Shoud we ask the doctor about it? Is there medication that reduces these types of behavioral responces to Resperdal use?

gmdem13

This is a GREAT question!

I am 22 Years old and have had tourettes/ticks my entire life! I have researched everything there is to research as well as been on quiet a few different medications. I was acting as an advice coloumnist for "tourettes weekly" when I was a teen. It was a lot of fun because there are so many different types of ticks. Mine consist of scrunching up my nose, excessive blinking, and I have had a few more in the past that I have grown out of.
Assuming that physically easy child/difficult child has no physical problems with his leg/knee that would result in the bouncing motion, It could deffinately be concidered a tick. It could be a 24/7 tick, or a nervous tick, and there are many different types of medications that can help the situation. it may not get rid of it completely, but it will help him keep it under control, without even thinking about it!
I learned to love mine, even if they are different and was taken off of my medications. Although, my ticks were not disturbing to others (that I know of) I would suggest speaking with his PCP about different medications that can help him better cope and distract him less.

Please! let me know of any other questions, and good good luck to you and yours!

BusynMember

Risperdal can cause involuntary movements. They aren't tics, they are a result of the medication and can become permanent if not taken care of (not sure that this is the Risperdal, but if it started when the Risperdal did, probably is). Do address your psychiatrist ASAP.

rejectedmom

Thanks MWM. I do not want this to be permanent but he does have to be on the AP medications for at least 6 months according to PCP. The movement didn't develop until he had accidently skipped three days of medications after being on it for two months. We have set him up with an am/pm pill keeper now and I maintain it and check everyday to make sure he remembers. He so wants to go back to work this week after being out for 2 months but if psychiatrist needs to change or add medication then it won't be possible at this time.

DDD

In my forty plus years experience with ADHD the leg bouncing is extremely common for those on or not on medications. In some it is more pronounced than others....and stress seems to be a big factor. We have not had that issue with Risperdal. on the other hand your sons issues are different from ours and I would certainly check with the MD. A friend who is about fifty always pumps more when stressed but all her coworkers are used to it. I think you're right that it would not likely be accepted for a new employee. Sending caring supportive thoughts your way. DDD

rejectedmom

DDD, He is not a new employee he had a psychotic break while at work in November. He was delusional and was sent to the Hospital and then to a psychiatric tretment center. He has been out of work since early november. He wants to go back and his leave is over in a week. Work has demanded that he be evaluated by their doctors (2 sessions)and cleared before he can return. His first appointment for that is this week. We also see his own psychiatrist on wednesday. That is who we will address this issue with. I am concerned that if he is doing it when he meets with works physician it could be a cause for them to say he cannot return.

DDD

I understand. Sorry, I didn't remember that it was a return to his original workforce. Fingers crossed that everything works out right. I'm sure sitting at home must be upsetting for him. Hugs. DDD

rejectedmom

Thanks DDD. He is anxious to return to work and I am anxious for him to. Besides it giving him something to do it is a good boost for his self esteem to be able to pay his own way. He is right here all day most days except if he is at a meeting. Boredom is setting in for both of us actually. I have lots to do but he wants to do them with me and well that doesn't always work out. If I watch TV it has to be something we both enjoy ie: no chick flicks. If I eat he eats with me. He plops in my favorite chair and stays there for hours watching tv or reading his AA stuff.. I want the dog confined to the back part of the house because he shed so much but the dog wants to be wih my son who lets him. More mess for me to clean. Son is good to me but I am used to being alone most of the time. A good middle road solution of him working and me having time alone to have a friend to lunch or watch a movie or even have a glass of wine ( can't drink in front of him so...) would be most welcome. I knew I would have to deal with this when husband retired (just not the wine thing lol) but having to adjust to son as if he was a retired husband is sometimes frustrating.