Is it bad

flutterby

Fly away!
to want to call my daughter every day that she's gone?

I've stopped myself so far today, but I worry. I worry that her anxiety is getting too high, I worry that she's depressed, I worry that she's scared.

I *am* enjoying the lack of tension in the house and am doing stuff just for me. But, am I being overprotective? Should I just let her call me?

We've never been apart like this. When easy child went to his dad's, I would wait for him to call me. But, that was different.

It doesn't help that I found out that the first night she was gone, she didn't sleep through the night. Although, the next night when they had to pull off and get a room because of the weather, she did. Sigh...........

DDD

I don't think it is "bad" to be tempted. on the other hand, I think you should wait and let her call you. It could be a very maturing time for her and learning she can survive without you is the long range goal. Sending support your way, no matter what you choose. DDD

Wiped Out

Staff member
I don't think it's bad. When easy child went off to her scholarship program for three weeks last summer I called her the first couple of nights and then every couple of nights. My sister in law has an only child, who is now engaged. She still calls her a couple of times a day-that's a bit too much.

helpangel

Can't ask a mom not to worry it will never happen (check the handbook). I would call once and let her know you miss her and tell her what time would be good for her to call you if she wants to talk. Then you don't have to worry about looking like an over protective mom and at same time let her know you are there for her.

Nancy

trinityroyal

It's not bad to want to call, it's perfectly normal.
However, I agree with the others that you might want to let her call first.

I do like Helpangel's suggestion of calling once, and then leaving the rest to W.

Trinity

nvts

Hi! I wouldn't call. difficult child 3 went on her 1st sleepover about 2 mos. ago (she's 71/2) and I wanted to call. I didn't, and she was sooo proud. All of the other kids (3) Mom's called and when they noticed I hadn't, they asked her why and she said "because my Mom knows I have the mature". According to the hosting Mom, it was sort of an "oooooo-ahhhh" moment and all of the other girls told their moms to stop calling them! lol

I think what I'd do is praise the life out of W when she does call. Let her know she can call whenever she needs, but that you're so impressed that she was able to push forward as far as she did.

I'm impressed with the two of you (as usual!)...

Hugs to you!

Beth