Is It Possible?

anmari75

MaMa2_3Munkeyz
Could it be possible that my son has been misdiagnosed for most of his life. Without writing a book on here, he has been diagnosed years ago as possible early onset bipolar, mood disorder, ADD, and learning disabilities not otherwise specified. Now they are saying he could be Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified. instead!!! What is this? and how could they have missed it all these years. He has been in counseling, on and off a variety of medications. and where we live it is he** trying to get evaluations much less help from the schools.

meowbunny

It's possible. Mental health is not an exact science -- there is always some guesswork involved. Add to that the knowledge and prejudices each diagnostician has and it is easy to goof. On top of that, Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP), ADD, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified all have similiar symptoms. Makes it difficult to diagnosis, especially in younger patients. As kids age, it becomes a little easier to diagnosis.

Of course, none of that helps us parents. We watch our children go through medication trials, behavior mod, etc. and then find out the entire treatment plan was dead wrong and have to start all over again. So painful and frustrating.

smallworld

I agree with MB -- it's very possible. The problem is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) is often missed. Plus kids with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) can display ADHD-like inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity, mood dysregulation and language-based learning disabilities. I have a friend whose son was just diagnosed Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified at age 12.

I hope you're on the right track now. Hang in there.

BusynMember

Same thing with me. The doctors said Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified when son was 11. It took that long, but was worth it.