Is it weird that this makes me excited?

EmJay

We have our referral for Occupational Therapist (OT) for Sensory Processing!
And the Dr. Changed his medicine from Adderall to Vyvanse 40mg

EmJay

I think it's more the referral for sensory processing disorder (SPD) and not necessarily the medication change. It felt good to have someone agree with me for once in my life. The Doctor read my bullet points and agreed that she saw some sensory processing disorder (SPD)!!!!

TerryJ2

Very good. I always feel so validated when a dr agrees with-me regarding my difficult child. Now, we're at the point of what to do about it ...

T

TeDo

Chances are that once they do the Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, they will recommend occupational therapy to help. It has helped WONDERS with difficult child 1. Whatever they recommend, go for it!! difficult child 1 has come a long way because of our awesome Occupational Therapist (OT). Hope yours is as good as ours!!!

buddy

I hope you find it as good as we have. really they can help think of so many solutions even if a child is not super sensory involved. I always felt like an Occupational Therapist (OT) in a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) body and I worked with this great Occupational Therapist (OT) who always said she was really an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) in an Occupational Therapist (OT) body (Funny her kid had terrible language issues and mine has sensory and fine motor issues so we got the wrong kids or they got the wrong moms...lol)

Q used to be so sensitive to wet things touching him, couldn't tolerate hardly any smells (still sensitive but we can go places and he can walk in a gym), never got dizzy and so had tons of seeking issues, and had really limited food preferences...now this kid eats almost everything! He had this huge taco salad today with everything on it, tons of veggies. (he will even try weird sea food at the Chinese buffet near us, I hate that stuff).

We always have work to do but it really has helped him in his daily life.

congrats, I got a bunch of evaluations set up this week too and it feels great! Not weird at all, but then again, that would make me weird too so I wouldn't admit it, haha

EmJay

Chances are that once they do the Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, they will recommend occupational therapy to help. It has helped WONDERS with difficult child 1. Whatever they recommend, go for it!! difficult child 1 has come a long way because of our awesome Occupational Therapist (OT). Hope yours is as good as ours!!!

IF it is indeed sensory processing disorder (SPD); what sort of things can I look forward to/expect with the Occupational Therapist (OT)?

buddy

IF it is indeed sensory processing disorder (SPD); what sort of things can I look forward to/expect with the Occupational Therapist (OT)?

Clinics have different focuses and methods and in general, it will depend on the types of sensory integration difficulties he is having. They will also be checking fine motor and reflexes I would imagine, so you could have a number of things.

Here are the types of things and supports we got:
1. suggestions for school
2. home ideas, like how to introduce and vary food (luckily I was trained as a feeding therapist, so that worked out slick)
3. direct therapy including exposure to different textures etc. (they had a sand box, water play, toys etc.) they would swing him in blankets and crash him into soft mats, use sound therapy programs, etc.
4. They worked on fine motor skills, eating, cutting, coloring, etc.