Is it worth is to try Scouts again?

susiestar

Roll With It
thank you just came in and wants to go to join Scouts. Tonight.

We did this in kindergarten. He decided after 3 meetings he didn't want to.

Same for 2nd grade.

But he really isn't involved in anything because his sport is basketball. And it is offered at strange times here - and NOT back to back.

I think we are going tonight. But not sure about the full commitment. Depends on who is in charge. If it is my old Statistics prof - wholeheartedly YES. Love the man like a Gpa. If it is someone else, we will see.

I hate the last minute notice on this stuff. I jsut want to sleep. 2 nights with no sleep. I am ti-red! And husband just IM'ed that they have bigwigs in the office and he is invited out with them. So he will be late.

Go now, or wait until next session?

witzend

I would investigate before you go tonight. I wouldn't say anything to difficult child, but it would be better if you knew what you were looking at before you start. But I would go. If the Den or Pack leader, whoever it is, is able to explain about it, or tell you that he has a plan and can talk later, I think that is fine. If you get "Don't worry, I'm sure it will be fine, be prepared to help difficult child look into it harder. I would be loathe to set him up for failure in a group that isn't ready for him.

Andy

My difficult child was is cub scouts from tigers. I go to every meeting and give him the choice of going to a pack meeting or going to a church kid's club meeting. I made it clear that he would not be doing an overnight unless I could get husband to go. We do not do out of town activities unless I am available to attend. We also did not follow the program - we only joined for the activities (actually difficult child only wanted to attend the day camps that had BB guns, archery, and slingshots). We did not go out of our way to meet the criteria of the badges.

We are not going on to Boy Scouts - I told them that we are not into the wall climbings, camping, white water rafting - things that are suppose to intice the boys into joining.

It was a good experience for my difficult child. He was able to do many things he may not have otherwise done.

Day camp taught us safety protocol of the BB guns and Archery. With this knowledge, difficult child's 8th birthday was a event with the boys each having a turn at the bb gun and archery and a 4 wheel ride. We set up each event as it would have been for boy scouts - one at a time, others way back, ect.

Boy Scouts does encourage a large variety of activities. Lots to learn plus time to make friends.

Good luck!

svengandhi

All of my boys did scouting and I was a den leader. I am now a committee member at both cub and boy scout levels.

My difficult child was a very indifferent cub scout. He only went so he could see his friends.

Once he moved up into regular scouting, that all changed. He is Mr. Scout. He is just about Life scout and will not be 14 till next month. He has earned the respect of boys who used to avoid him and has developed skills and maturity I never thought would happen to him. He STILL drives me crazy, but scouts is a highlight in his life.

If thank you is of scout as opposed to cub age, I would give it a try.

PS - Adrianne - difficult child had a paintball Bar Mitzvah party last year; most of the guests were scouts.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
we did it twice, in K and in 1st grade, difficult child I was always enthusiastic at 1st but when the time came to do the work, he checked out, so if he wanted to try again, I would probably say no way, just because of the cost and time committment, but that's just me, if he has friends in it, it may work this round for you guys.