Is my VocRehab counselar right?

Brodi

I had a meeting with my new* VocRehab counselor two weeks ago. They agreed that it would be a good idea for me to get a degree in something and they printed me out a list of the steps to get into the community college that I was interested in. One part is taking the TSI. Due to being stuck forever at mid 2nd grade level in math (part of the test is math and we 100% sure I will fail that portion), I asked her if that meant I'd be placed in a remedial math course even though the degree I want (Associates in Mortuary Science) does not have any math classes listed in the course requirements. She assured me I would not. (Remedial math courses with me are like Sisyphus and his rock, no end in sight, we have tried it multiple times before.) But, I found this on the departments page:
  • Present proof of entry-level competencies established by an acceptable assessment (such as Accuplacer, etc.).

Is she right?

*The Voc Rehab agency has a high turnover rate and I have been lied to about my ability to go to college before. One councilor told me they could waiver *ALL* math courses, she ended up being fired for, we guess, promising clients too much.

AppleCori

I think your best bet would be to go directly to the student services division of the college you plan to attend.

Get anything they tell you in writing. That way, if policies change mid-stream, they will still have to honor the plan.

Apple

witzend

If it were something I really hoped to do, I would go forward with it and meet that obsticle should I come to it.

svengandhi

My son, easy child 19, is dyslexic and math is not his thing. He thought about mortuary science but it required a minimum score in the state math test, which he didn't have. He has been placed in remedial math but registered so late that there were no classes available. I don't know if it is possible for you to do this but I had my daughter take her math class pass/fail and my son will be taking his math class, once he finishes remedial at another local CC. If you pass a class with a C, it will transfer the credits but not the grade. Another option is to do the math over the summer in a compressed course. My son found in HS that summer school was easier for math because he didn't have to remember the material for as long...

Good luck but I don't think you can waive math at the low end. My Difficult Child waived it but only because he had AP Calc and daughter waived the first level based on her SAT score. I took CLEP tests and waived math that way.

Copabanana

Brodi, this is my understanding of things: There must be an accommodation provided to disabled students. You cannot just say: because you cannot do that (because of your disability) you cannot enter our program or school or job or even apartment. If it is because of your documented disability they must give you every opportunity to go around or over the requirement.

The only way they can stop you is if it is an essential component of the job. Like for example: modeling women's lingerie. I do not think a man could make the case to be hired. Or, a blind policeman.

I do not see how mathematics is an essential component of mortuary science.

Now, anybody can do anything. Just because something is illegal, in this case, to insist you pass math, even if it is not an essential requirement of the profession.

But if they did something so stupid you would have a huge lawsuit, I believe an any disability rights organization would likely be willing to help you. At least I would if I was a disability rights attorney.

Of course, I am not an attorney or aware of the finer elements of disability rights law.

But I do not recommend letting yourself be limited by what could or what might happen. Or else none of us would try anything.

I agree with Witz. If this is what you want go with it and believe in yourself that you will work to surmount what comes.

Good luck.

PS I think the Voc Rehab counselor is able to arrange to advocate for you to waive non-essential requirements in the program. That is what they do. Of course, somebody can over-promise, but that is a risk with whoever you deal with. You are back to Witz's point: If you want it go for it.

Last edited:

Confused

Brodi, I took my math courses at least two times each, a couple of them was at least 3x. ..many courses at that. Lots of tutoring as well. Its not easy, but you will find something you can want and will be able to do. The others already gave you great advice! Wanted to lend you my support. Hugs

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
College courses require proof of minimal competency in highschool math. It may only be freshman math, be it algebra or trig, but any college wants to see competency in basic math.

The only exception to this are some tradeschool courses, but mortuary sciences requires some chemistry, which requires math. My suggestion is to meet with your counsellor, find out what the minimum remedial requirements are, arrange tutoring and whatever other assistance you can based on your disability (it must be a documented disability: "I suck at math" doesn't cut it) and do what you have to do to pass the class, even if it takes several tries.

This is speaking as someone who aced all of the GED and scraped through on math. ACED the SAT and did OK on math with the help of tutoring classes that ended 2 days before I took the SAT, and scored a 32 on my ACT which woulda been a 36 if it hadn't been for the flipping math. You have my sympathies.

I'm old enough that dyscalculia wasn't recognized as a learning disability when i was in school. I found out I had it when i was in my early 40s. By then, I'd already found out about the various types of calculators, etc., and functioned, but i can't even do arithemetic on paper very well,let alone higher mathematics.