Is Spring Break OVER Yet? Grrr....

JulienSam

I've lost my cool so many times this week with Sam... it's been a hellish week, and not having school hasn't helped. Break -- hah!

Finally today I reversed the door knob to his bedroom door & put him in there for a time out. We'll see if that does any good -- if doesn't work for him, it at least gives me a few minutes of sanity.

I've tried putting so many things into basket C -- but 24/7 wears me down. husband took a couple of days off & has been good in the evenings about being with the kids, but like so many others, I'm at my wits end. I SO want to pack a suitcase, a couple of good books and escape for a few days. I've even thought about going back to work just to get away -- although I know that won't really help our issues.

The SD did their observation at Sam's school right before break, and he performed marvelously -- I wouldn't normally wish a meltdown on his teacher, but the team really needed to see who Sam is. Sam's preschool teacher mentioned that the SD wants to come out to school again & bring an Occupational Therapist (OT) -- not sure what that means. Any ideas?

Well, miracle of all miracles, he's ready to come out of his room & make good choices... like clean up the drops of urine he left on the bathroom floor (which is all I asked him to do in the beginning).

"Battle weary" -- funny how that can mean so many things -- battle weary from fighting our children, battle weary from fighting with the schools, battle weary from our situations.

Sometimes I can really understand why people become addicted to alcohol or drugs -- being numb is sometimes very appealling, although again it wouldn't really help anything.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. SO looking forward to school starting again next week. :D:D

Lulu

(((HUGS))) Julie. Spring break was really long for us, too. hang in there.

IKWYM about the ultimate outcome being so much more overblown than the initial transgression. Sometimes by the time a day-long meltdown is over, I can't even remember what triggered the whole dang thing. sigh.

What is an SD? When you say you're "not sure what that means," do you mean the abbreviation Occupational Therapist (OT)? If so, that's an Occupational Therapist. (you prolly knew that, though, and are asking about the larger issue of bringing someone)

Keep us updated on the progress in the school observations. And good luck getting through until next week. :D

JulienSam

Lulu --

"SD" = school district...

Yes, I'm curious why they want to bring an Occupational Therapist (OT) in (thanks for the info though -- I had to give my hubby the rundown of all the abbreviations recently).

:)

Julie

susiestar

Roll With It
An Occupational Therapist (OT) would evaluate for various problems. Most notably the Occupational Therapist (OT) will evaluate for Sensory Integration Disorder. This is when a person cannot cope with the sensory input their body is sending. There is very effectifve therapy, and early intervention can make every aspect of life MUCH easier.

My youngest is very much Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). He has taste and texture issues with food, texture issues with everything, chews his shirt, sometimes can't stop moving, will sit on his head on the couch to watch tv, is super picky about how his clothes feel, can't stand being hot, is NEVER cold, and so much much more.

There are some great books on this. The first one to look up is "The Out Of Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz. It explains Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and how the brain is working very clearly. It also has some treatment suggestions.

The second book (and my fave ) is by the same author. "The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun" is a whole book of activities that will help provide the sensory input a person wiht Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) needs. The activities are not generally expensive, they are FUN, mostly easy, not terribly time-consuming. The book has ways to do the activities in as low-cost a way possible.

And the activities are ones the entire family can do.

My favorite thing about this book is that you can pretty much guide your way through if you look at the things your child likes (and do more of similar activities) and the things your child hates (and avoid them). IT really does help.

Most likely the Occupational Therapist (OT) will suggest brushing therapy if Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is an issue. A soft surgical scrub brush is used to brush over the body in a set pattern. Then gently joint compression follows. It is amazing to see - my child becomes so much calmer, happier and MORE CONFIDENT, just by brushing him. It can be done over clothes or on bare skin.

You MUST be trained by the Occupational Therapist (OT) to do this. There are places you can brush that can cause real problems with the body, and places where brushing will be most helpful. The joint compressions must be taught because a child's body can be so fragile - and hurting the joints won't help anything.

Good luck!

smallworld

In addition to Sensory Integration Disorder, an Occupational Therapist (OT) can evaluate for fine and gross motor skills. An Occupational Therapist (OT) hired by the SD will look specifically at how deficits in motor skills and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) impact Sam's ability to access his education.

JulienSam

Susiestar & Smallworld --

thanks for the replies. Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) has crossed our minds briefly in the past although he doesn't exhibit many of the major symptoms (at least not consistently). At one time when he was younger, tags on clothing or certain clothes would prompt a meltdown, but we don't get much of that anymore.

What really struck me about your post, Susiestar, was the brushing therapy. Even Sam's teachers have commented that if one of them sits next to him during Circle time & softly strokes his arm, he's more likely to stay still.

He really loves SOFT blankets - always has. And his favorite thing to do when snuggling with either husband or I is to have someone give him "soft tickles".

It'll be interesting to see what this Occupational Therapist (OT) has to say...

Julie

SRL

You might pick up a copy of The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz. Even if there isn't a full diagnosis of Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), sensory calming strategies can be helpful for many kids.

Does Sam go back to school tomorrow? The break in routine and less structured environment can really throw a little guy out of whack. I hope you found a getaway--I never thought Walmart at 10:30 pm could look so good.