Is there ever a day you just want to swap difficult child's?

StressedM0mma

Some days I just want to trade difficult child's just for a few days. I would love to deal with something "different" than the everymorning school battle. She was up early today, and we are upstairs self sabotaging as I type. WHY??? Sometimes I just want to say I will trade you.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Oh there are many days I would trade my difficult child - for something nice, though....like a raging pitbull with rabies...

I don't think I could handle another difficult child!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm with DF.

Actually I read the thread title wrong when I first saw it... I thought it said "SLAP" not "SWAP"... I was all for that!!! LOL

trinityroyal

I'm with DF and Step.

I have strategies for the regular difficult child koi that I have to deal with. A different difficult child would mean that I'd have to go through another learning curve. My little brain just can't take that -- it would overheat!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
And if I did have a raging pitbull with rabies (instead of difficult child) for a day?

I'd be taken seriously if I called for help....

There wouldn't be a months-long delay waiting for insurance and/or doctor approval...

I would NOT hear that the problem could be cured with more hugs, positive attention or quality time....

No one would be drawing up any "Behavior Charts"...

And I would not be subject to the suspicion that I must have caused the whole problem.

Jody

StressesM0mma, Nice thought but no way. lol, I couldnt do it, seriously I couldnt handle anyone elses difficult child. I couldnt put myself in a situation that I might lose it on someone elses kid. gosh that sounds terrible after I read it, but true. oh my. Can't wait till she goes off to college.

StressedM0mma

Hahaha. I have thought of slapped as well. And, since I have fostered many a dog, I have had some non rabid dogs. As a matter of fact, I just had to break up a mini fight that my brand new foster stirred up. She seems to think that this is her house. Too bad my own guys told her differently.

InsaneCdn

I'm with the others...
Having spent a dozen years figuring out my current difficult child... I don't think I have another 12 years to figure out yours...

And yes, DF... ironic, isn't it. Generally easier to get help for a problem dog than for a problem kid.

buddy

Not long term but I have taken on other people's difficult child's and when I did day care I had several difficult child's for 8 to ten hour days. And then often took them for overnights. I love my kid so wouldn't trade, but I tend to have way way way more patience for other people's kids, even if a difficult child.

I have never had to help raise a child using drugs though. That would probably be out of my element and I may be too gullible for that job.

InsaneCdn

Hmmm... Buddy? Maybe you and I should look into that for our retirement jobs. Respite care for the developmentally challenged (e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Downs, etc.) - kids who are physically "able" but a real handful. Not foster or full-time, but... respite. Two days here, a week somewhere else.

buddy

I grew up with my family doing that. We had some great kids...from babies to older kids. One baby was amazing. Had barely any arms/hands could only eat liquid from a spoon, not sure he could hear or see but always smiled. His family was from another country and wanted him to be left to die but with social supports they ended up loving him dearly instead of following customs and we became friends with them. An amazing lesson we learned through them! I'd love to do that.