Is this a weird thing to be happy about??

DazedandConfused

Son is emotionally less mature (by a long shot) from other boys his age. He's still very whiny and cries easily.

I have been noticing now that two of his friends, that come over on a regular basis, their voices are changing and getting deeper. Son still sounds like a little kid.

Physically, he is still very much a little boy. He's always been skinny as a rail and clothing to fit him has been a challenge to find. Especially, pants. I was so grateful when they started making pants with adjustable elastic in the waist band. So far, no other signs of maturing.

I know that kids hit puberty as different times and rates. I know that Son is going to behind his peers. I just want something to happen before he hits high school.

Then this morning he comes into my bedroom and announces:

"Mom, I've got a PIMPLE on my face."

:D

Estherfromjerusalem

Definitely NOT a weird thing to be happy about! On the contrary, it made me smile too.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how happy you will be when puberty sets in -- LOL. Still, there are pluses and minuses to everything! And puberty is a stage that has to be gone through, whether we like it or not. So the first pimple is a step in the "right" direction.

Wishing you good luck!

Love, Esther

TerryJ2

ROFL!
Get ready to rock and roll.
Although I've heard boys aren't as bad as girls. (That was probably said by someone who didn't have a difficult child.)

Marguerite

Wait until he starts obsessively picking at them. difficult child 3 gets those small fatty lumps on the skin of his arms, they are NOT piples but he goes after them anyway and causes damage. He now has scars on his arms, and people ask him what is wrong, has he had an accident.

At least whilethey're seeming so young, their odd behaviour can seem to be just immaturity. Buthwne thevoice breaks, people have higher expectations of them than they can handle.

Hang in there, it can be a rough ride.

Marg

Andy

Sometimes we have to grab the smiles whenever/wherever we find them.

And it is fun to watch our kids grow in all their levels. Sometimes the physical growth is harder to watch because we miss our sweet little babies (you know, there were some moments).

cadydid

I am with the others.... it's not weird.. I felt the same way when my son came to me and asked me what that bump on his face was :)

And I know what you mean about the elastic band in the waist !! My son while eating me out of house and home ( his idea of a bedtime snack is 4 PB&J sandwiches), he is as skinny as a rail. Now if they would make something with an adjustable length I'd be reallllyyyy happy lol

klmno

Yep, I did the same thing. Oddly, my son's voice started to change for a few months then it seemed like it stopped. It might be due to the mood stabilizers he's on, don't know. Anyway, the pimples are there, the hair is growing on the legs and peach fuzz on the lip. Then I got the statement "Momma, I am a man now".

So, enjoy seeing your little boy turn into a young man. :) Just remember, difficult child'ness can sometimes explode with every growth spurt, so prepare yourself! And, keep every reminder of the "little boy" that you can find....you might find that you end up missing it, believe it or not!!

DazedandConfused

Well, that's a big WHEW!

Thank you all for reassuring me. I know that the oncoming adolescence is going to be a very rocky road with him. I'm still going through it with Daughter and she has been quite a roller coaster ride so far. Though, she started puberty along with most of her peers.

I had to go to Son's school and pick up things he had sold for the school fundraiser, so I did it when I dropped him off in the morning. He REFUSED to walk with me and hurried ahead of me his head down looking at the walk way. He used to feel so proud to walk with me at school.

Talk about feeling like a hideous freak!

In reality, I suppose, I'm much worse than that: I'm his Mom. :drool::halfdead::weird:

Last edited:

klmno

LOL!! I am no longer allowed to speak to my son like I'm his Mom (saying typical motherly things) in public, or at all if any other teen is in view.

What you're describing sounds pretty typical teen to me.