Is this legal???

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
And yet, if you try to find out some informtation about your sick relative, the privacy laws prevent anyone from saying "O they're fine!" or "I'm sorry, your Grandma's in intensive care."

So, presumably, if the repo guy called the hospital and asked for John's Smith's information, the receptionist could say 'I'm sorry sir, I'm not allowed to give out health information. O, his car? Yeah, he parked it out front."

Yes, I'm being facetitious...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Out of curiosity, I stopped by our local payday/title loan place. I asked if I could look over one of their application forms.

They do require three 'contacts', including full name, phone number, address, and occupation.

AND, they tell you right in the contract that by signing it, you are authorizing the agency to contact those people in case of default.

I kind of figured. What really floored me was the interest rates charged. You are talking well over a hundrec percent per YEAR.

DammitJanet

As a side note...if you ever do get in trouble with some loan place, never send the repo people to a neighbor who you dont get along with as a way to get them away from your house.

We live on a U shaped private dirt road. Some neighbors that we have been basically feuding with for the last several years must have failed to pay for some furniture. I ended up with a paper on my front door from the furniture company saying they had come to repo the furniture and could I please call them. It had these other peoples name on it. As in Dear Ms X, please call me. I called the furniture company at once...lol. I asked them why on earth they came to my house? It seems they went to the correct house the first time but Ms X sent them to my house saying that is where Ms X lived! LMAO. Oh how quickly I told them they had been scammed. I told them they were welcome to come back to look in my house to make sure I didnt have any of their furniture...in fact I would stay on the phone with him while he sent someone out right then if he so wished. I also told him where Ms X did live and where Ms X's dtr had moved which is where I think the actual furniture was residing now.

Dont ever cross someone you have already crossed!

KTMom91

Since Miss KT's father couldn't be bothered to change his address on anything after we divorced, I got all sorts of interesting calls and letters after he was caught driving without a license or insurance (again), and his car was impounded. Even though Miss KT and I had moved, letters came through on her change of address (she has her father's last name; I kept my maiden name).

Because I am so kind and helpful, I called every agency (PD, etc.) who had sent a letter or left a message, and told them exactly where to find him.

donna723

KTmom, I did the same thing! :D I figured it was my civic duty! Not only did I tell his creditors exactly where to find him, I felt it was my duty as a citizen to clue the IRS in when I found out he was trying to pull something! And when I found out that he was planning to skip out without paying the back rent he owed, I cheerfully let his landlord know of his plans before he did it!

And the very best part of it all was that he never knew it was me that did it! He just thought he had a run of incredibly bad luck!!!!! ;)

svengandhi

As long as they tell you that you are a debt collector and are looking for info, it is legal. They can't mislead or lie to you, like tell you they are a long lost cousin with an inheritance to share.

My answer is generally "I work full time and don't know my neighbors. Sorry."