Issues of the bathroom kind but need help.

DammitJanet

I hate to bring this up with Marcie's problems but just happens to fall at the same time. As you know last Wednesday I got put on the Rx laxative. Before that it had been at least 5 days since I had performed more than slightly. Xmas night I was in agony and forced Tony to help me in one way which I wont mention.

This is Sunday and the rx laxative hasnt done its job. My stomach is completely swollen and tight as a drum. It hurts. Last night I ate a box of prunes thinking that might help. Uhhh...no...bad idea. They are sitting at the very top of my stomach. Now my urine output is being effected too. I am wondering if it is something in my medications effecting my liver or something. The only thing I can find when doing a drug checker is this "hepatic/intestinal enzyme CYP3A4 metabolism" on two things. I dont understand what that means even when I try to read it. Probably because I feel so badly right now.

I have sent Tony out to the store to get an enema and if that doesnt work, I guess its to the ER. I hate to go there today because we will be there all day and I will not be seen as an emergency.

Something is wrong though because I have gained like 20 pounds in 2 months and I have changed nothing in my eating except really I have eaten less because I feel fuller because my tummy is hurting.

buddy

OH gentle side hugs so I dont hurt your tummy. That is such a miserable feeling. I am so sorry the rx medications are not working. Which of your medications cause constipation? (are you on pain medications?...OH are you taking the Ritalin still? THAT is notorious for constipation too).

The enzyme thing... those are the enzymes that break down chemicals for use in our bodies. Q has two cyp issues. I think, given you are on medications, it is probably more a function of that.... I am hoping so anyway. You are good about eating non starch veggies and fruits? the 5-6 servings of each a day we all need (but I for one do not get). Salads especially with carrots really help me to be healthier that way. I also do better with constant water, not sudden glasses... just sips all day long from a water bottle I keep so I make sure it all goes down (It is 1.5 qt waterbottle I got at Target). I hope you can just use an enema or suppository (glycerine ones can help). Can you add prune JUICE to other things you drink? (if you can't stand he juice alone)...that might not stick in your stomach as much. Last thing you need is heartburn on top of everything. Do NOT take tums or any kind of antacid that causes more constipation!

Do heating pads or hot showers or baths offer you any relief?

Ok, done throwing out ideas... Probably already tried it all anyway but I just wanted you to know I heard you and feel so badly you are really that uncomfortable. I am postive the stress you are under can not be helping any of this. You are also limited in yoru movement so that of course slows things along. Everything is such a catch 22 for you. I feel so sorry for that. You need a break here!

love you bunches! Dee

H

HaoZi

I have to say it sounds like a blockage to me. I'd head to ER since that can become toxic quickly.

tiredmommy

I agree with-HaoZi... get thee to the hospital. You could have an impaction or blockage. Better to go in now and not have the stool surgically removed later.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, get to the ER, Janet! A blockage could rupture and not only s it painful but more dangerous than clearing up a blockage. Sounds like you're impacted and while an enema may help relieve the pressure and pain, it's been a while so it really sounds like you need to be seen. Best of luck and let us know how it goes (no pun intended). Hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, so as not to scare you too much, I can not go more than 2 wks easy. My medications can make that much longer if I'm not paying attention. That does NOT make this NOT a very potential serious situation, regardless of being somewhat embarrassing to discuss.

Castor oil will work, if you want doubled up and to be sick as a dog, literally. That is IF you can manage to get it swallowed at all. Foul foul stuff that.

IF you can get Tony to give you that OTC enema, honey don't you ever doubt for a second husband LOVES you!! No joke. I know husband loved me but that was one thing he'd gladly drive me to the ER for. It *might* work, but if you have an impaction going on, which you easily could since your bloated and skin tight, it might not do too much except remove the feces from the lower section of the bowel.....that leaves the other 2 sections full. Sometimes that is enough to trigger normal body response and keep things moving. As in you will go A LOT over the next 24-48 hrs. But often it's not. The person is fooled into thinking it *worked* when in fact it truly didn't.

But honestly, with what you've already done to move things along, you need a trip to the ER. I think this has gone beyond what can be done at home. For your health and well being get thee to the ER and let them handle this one.

In answer to your questions.......many of your medications are very constipating for many people, add into that the fact that at this point you can't keep moving like most people due to the knees and fibro ect it's gonna make it worse. In the future you might benefit from that benefiber stuff you put on everything you eat and drink, and drink more water......lots of water. Let juice become your friend.

Please go to the ER, dear. You know I don't say that lightly. A twisted bowel, obstruction or impaction is nothing to mess with. You wait to long and tissue dies, when that happens you can wind up pooing into a bag taped to your abdomen or worse, lose your life. Just not worth it, huh?

((hugs))

Steely

Go to the ER. When my dad had cancer the chemo made his bowels become impacted all of the time. It got serious quickly and he was in the ER several times. They do look at it like a real emergency because once it is affecting your urine outflow you have little time before it all blocks up and you become toxic.

susiestar

Roll With It
When they first put me on my current pain medication it stopped me up and I didn't go for almost 3 weeks. It was due to the pain medications and very common. I DON"T KNOW if yours is due to medications or not. If is IS due to medications, there is a shot called relistor which works on the receptors that pain medications work on and it forces you to go. It is VERY dramatic and NOT fun. My doctor warned me to NOT do them before I got home because when they start to work it can take a couple of hours. They started to work in less than 10 min and they did cause cramping. But I already had cramping, so I was just glad it helped get things moving.

You HAVE to get this out. Given your body, I am thinking the ER is a very good next step

DammitJanet

Well...did the enema and stuff did move. I think my organs were stuffed in places they werent normally supposed to be stuffed because my upper back is sore! I think my kidneys have been pushed up there. I have been taking this lactulose in applesauce so Im getting fruit. And yes I can drink prune juice, I actually like it. I think this stuff is moving. Not just the lower part where the enema would get to, you can tell that after having several of them in my life due to pain medications. And yes, Tony has been a good sport about that over the years. He tends to joke about it. Right now I have no shame...lol. After 28 years and him seeing me give birth to 2 kids, heck its not worse than that!

If things dont continue moving I will head to the ER. I am supposed to take the medicine every night now that things are happening. I have a theory that my muscles have simply forgotten how to move because it has been so long so I needed something to get things started. Dunno...but I seem to have issues with my arm going to sleep sometimes so maybe?

Steely

Is it possible for you to go to an indoor pool and do water aerobics? That might really help your entire body feel better as a long term solution.

Steely

135.00 a month??? GEEZ. What is it only the elite of the elitist club??? Stupid.
However, I wonder if your Dr ordered it - would medicare pay?

buddy

Since applesauce is used in the brat diet when people have diarrhea. I was thinking that too. Need actual apples, carrots, things with roughage.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can't say I've ever known applesauce to be binding. Personal experience that is. And it wouldn't be enough to counter the affects of the medication janet is taking to rid herself of the issue, trust me.

Janet if you have a lot of grumbling going on up near your diaphram area, then you might have gotten things moving again. I hope so. That is miserable, I know.

Hugs