Issues of the bathroom kind but need help.

susiestar

Roll With It
Applesauce won't be a problem. It creates bulk, but bulk helps push things through. Fiber is a strange thing in that it fixes both ends of the spectrum - absorbs water to firm it up and adds bulk to move it out.

I am so glad things are moving and not backed up. You may want to consider keeping fiber tablets in the house. Go for the psyllium ones. Walmart has them, orange colored, no flavor. Just drink with a full glass of water. You want the psyllium ones because they don't ferment in there and produce more gas.

I think the medication in the shot I told you about may also come in pills. Wouldn't hurt to ask and keep some on hand.

As for modesty, lol, mine left with Wiz' birth. It was before the days of one nurse caring for you the entire shift. I counted and no less than 18 people "checked" my progress. HOW do you have any modesty after they turn you into a bus terminal down there???

InsaneCdn

Avoid bananas - they are great if you've got mild runs and can't get it stopped, but... put them on the no-no list for you.

Don't go TOO heavy on prunes or prune juice - its a fairly strong jolt to the system. But have some DAILY.

And then... add fiber every chance you get.
Apples and/or apple sauce are great - because of the pectin.
Citrus fruits... but only if you eat the whole fruit, not just the juice (its the fiber that helps... and juice with added pulp just doesn't cut it)

Hot home-made oatmeal (don't shoot me... you can do this: 1/4 c quick rolled oats, pinch of salt, micro-safe dish, add 1/2 c boiling water, put on lid or cover with plate, then toss towel over top; come back later... 10 min, or 30 min, or 60 min... doesn't affect anything except how long for next step; take off covers, put bowl in micro, cook on high until it bubbles up... if you waited about 10 min, it should bubble in about 30 secs, if you waited 30 min, it will take more like 50 sec... etc. Add usual toppings... VERY high in multiple forms of fibre!) notice - no pot to wash, just the bowl you ate out of...

While you're at it, make sure you're getting some FAT, too. Ideally, healthy fat, but at this point... any fat is first priority (oh. I forgot. You even use bacon fat on brussels sprouts...) Fat helps "grease the works", and yes, even when you're eating absolutely the most healthy you can get... you MUST get fats in your diet!

Beyond that... hmmm... maybe you need to put this moocher-dude to work hand-digging a swimming pool for you so you can exercise? And hand-chopping the wood to keep the water hot? If you work him hard enough, he might get the message and leave... and if he doesn't at least he can do YOU some good?? (just kidding...)

susiestar

Roll With It
The shot I mentioned is a brand name for methylnaltrexone. At one point I was told it comes in tablets for those who need it regularly. It works by keeping the pain medications from attaching in the gut so they cannot cause constipation. It ONLY works in your gut, it does NOT keep the medications from working for pain, but it keeps the medications from making you constipated. If nothing else, maybe the doctor can give you an rx for some to keep on hand for when the other things haven't worked. Then if you don't go and fiber isn't working you can try it.

I don't know how you feel about frosted mini wheats, but they are AWESOME for people with IBS/constipation issues. I cannot tolerate them with milk, but the whole family eats them dry for a snack. Not a lot of sugar but enough that you don't think you are eating hay, and the fiber and bulk are a big help. Plus they have some vitamins, etc.... so they are healthier than chips, etc.... I have used them since my teens to manage my IBS.
c

DammitJanet

I love frosted mini wheats. I also love raisin bran but if I put milk on it, it doesnt like me. But for some reason that hasnt been working right now. I just feel miserable. I looked like a 9 month pregnant fat person. My stomach was rock hard and you could play the bongo on it.

Things arent perfect yet but I am hopeful.