It doesn't fit through the door!!!

KTMom91

Hubby and Dave are standing out front, next to my new fridge. The front door is too narrow. The doorway from the living room to the kitchen is too narrow. The back door is too narrow. Now they're running around with tape measures and various tools...I'm not sure what they plan to take apart, but I can see that something's going to be demolished before the day is over.

Oh, Lordy, give me strength...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh lordie. Why weren't the measurements taken BEFORE buying the fridge? I live in a Mobile Home, and yeah, strange width doors and appliance alcoves are an issue.

But, I measured first and had no problems getting my appliances to fit in my place. The worst problem was not being able to get the stove I wanted because it wouldn't fit in the space allotted for it.

I'd have them measure and exchange the fridge for something that will fit. It beats heck out of having to demolish things to make it fit.

tiredmommy

Umm.. have they tried taking the door of the fridge? Taking the door off my fridge would give me a good two inches....

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We had to take the door off our fridge in our house up in Idaho, it was circa 1950's. Then for our bed we had to take off the door trim!

Good luck, deep breathes.

Luckily for our upstairs we were able to hoist our bed up off of our truck through our french doors! The stairway was WAY too narrow... THe french doors were one of the few improvements!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I second the suggestion to remove the fridge door/doors. When we bought our side-by-side we had to do this to get it through our kitchen doorway.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Removing the fridge doors was my first thought too. Much easier to do and will give you a couple more inches.

I also second the deeeeeeep breathes. Actually, my recommedation is a glass of the beverage of the day, a book or your reader, ear phones and your bed. Shut the bedroom door and tell them to come get you when everything is inside and installed.

donna723

I was going to suggest taking the doors off too. I always have this problem and ended up having to get a smaller refrigerator than what I intended to. My house is 160 years old and they didn't worry about getting appliances through the doors back then. The inside doors are especially narrow and when I bought a new stove, it almost didn't make it through the door from the dining room in to the kitchen. They had to take the doors off of that too.

KTMom91

They took off the doors of the fridge. They took off the front door of the house. They thought about taking off the screen door, but decided not to because it has security screws and they couldn't put it back on after that. They almost knocked it off the hand truck several times pulling it through the door, then they had to move the couch and side table to get it into the kitchen.

Hubby put in an emergency call to Son #1. Now I have three of them standing around in the kitchen, rattling tools and rustling paper. Ideally, someone will be going under the house and connecting the ice maker and water dispenser, that I did not have on the old fridge. Who knows...if they have to reach consensus, I'll have a fridge installed in time for Memorial Day.

KTMom91

They can't find a way to get under the house.

And Miss KT caught my flu bug. I had to go pick her up at the boyfriend's, because she's yakking too much to drive.

So, the current situation here is...three men in the front yard, discussing where to dig the hole to get under the house, and having a side debate about medical marijuana. There are two fridges in my kitchen, and plastic tubing looped in a random fashion through the kitchen and living room, and out the open front door into the yard. Buddy is shut in the bedroom and all teed off, because the action is on the other side of the door. Miss KT is sitting on the bathroom floor, with a bottle of Gatorade, waiting to see if she's going to throw up again. It's nearly 5 pm. I'm tired.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
If there are two fridges in your kitchen does that mean that the problem isn't installing the new one but it is removing the old one?

Hack it to death!

(ah, there is a violent side to me after all- lol)

Suz

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They can't find a way to get under the house.

And Miss KT caught my flu bug. I had to go pick her up at the boyfriend's, because she's yakking too much to drive.

So, the current situation here is...three men in the front yard, discussing where to dig the hole to get under the house, and having a side debate about medical marijuana. There are two fridges in my kitchen, and plastic tubing looped in a random fashion through the kitchen and living room, and out the open front door into the yard. Buddy is shut in the bedroom and all teed off, because the action is on the other side of the door. Miss KT is sitting on the bathroom floor, with a bottle of Gatorade, waiting to see if she's going to throw up again. It's nearly 5 pm. I'm tired.

Sounds like a king of the hill episode!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am sooo glad I measured before buying my frig. Of course that was the old house. New house wasn't an issue.......

But it's also why I'll pay extra to have it delivered and set up. Then if anything happens it's on who I bought it from and they have to make it right. :D Devious, that's me. lol

Remind them you can't cook without a frig......um, maybe that will help give them ideas??

KTMom91

Son #1 and Dave have gone home. Hubby finished hooking up the water dispenser and ice machine, put the food in, and we're good to go. Dinner was pizza from the place around the corner. Miss KT has not thrown up anymore, and is sleeping.

While I love my new fridge, I have to wonder about the next project...replacing the shower surround in the tub. We have only one bathroom.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
This situation is a hoot for me because my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) husband insists on measuring all orifices repeatedly before any purchase. We bought a freezer on Black Friday and what a production of male sweat, measuring tape and notes! I guess I should stop teasing him about it after reading this story.

DammitJanet

I am splitting a gut here.

Tony measures nothing anymore. He eyeballs everything. I beg him to take the tape because it scares me. He just looks at me and nods blankly. We go and buy whatever. I come home in a panic. The whatever fits fine because by now, the man can measure anything just by looking within a half inch or so. Makes me furious!

I got him though. When we got the large screen tv, he swore we could only fit a 37" tv in the hole. Well that was true for most of them because of how they were made but we found a 40" one that was made funky and brought that one home and installed it even though he kept telling me it wouldnt fit. LOL.

DDD

My wonderful husband had a project last weekend. He was to replace the door handles on a bedroom door. :redface: Not! He took off the old one and tossed it in the trash then he discovered that the center hole was the wrong size
for the new one. ;) That is why I pay to have things delivered and installed, lol.

Sounds like all is well at your house. I had to laugh at the pizza for dinner.
I'm sure all the stress drained any desire to cook. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Tony measures nothing anymore. He eyeballs everything. I beg him to take the tape because it scares me. He just looks at me and nods blankly. We go and buy whatever. I come home in a panic. The whatever fits fine because by now, the man can measure anything just by looking within a half inch or so.

Yeah, that's me. husband cannot estimate size for the life of him, and even when he uses a tape measure, he still manages to screw it up. I can be standing there telling him that it will or won't fit, and he never believes me, and has to measure. Then I get the, "Gee, I guess it will/won't fit afterall!" :hammer: