"It feels like someone is yelling at me in my head."

KTMom91

Miss KT just called. She says the yelling used to happen all the time when she was little, but then it went away. She says it makes her feel like she's in trouble, so I asked if if she'd done anything she wasn't happy about, thinking maybe it was a conscience-type thing. No, just lots of yelling, and she wants to sleep with a night light on tonight.

This is the first time she's ever said anything like this. I had no idea there was yelling in her head. Now what should I do about it?

smallworld

I recommend calling her psychiatrist first thing in the morning. It sounds as if she's having hallucinations. Hallucinations can be exacerbated or caused by stimulants like Adderall XR. Has she had a recent medication change or increase?

BusynMember

Sounds like she is hallucinating. I'd look at the Adderrall too. But if she's hallucinated all her life, it could just be the natural progression. However, in my opinion Adderrall would not be a good medication (I wouldn't give it to my child) if he were having hallucinations. (((Hugs)))

Jena

I was just going to say the same exact thing. My difficult child went through that as well, I forget which medication did it. She had her own hallucinations at one point, and than the medication made it worse instead of calming it.

It can be so difficult to figure out what is going on in their head at at times.

KTMom91

She's been taking Adderall for quite a while, no other medication changes. She's never said anything about voices before. She didn't tell my mom about the voices, but she left the house today with a fully packed duffle bag, saying she was going to the gym. She didn't take her medications with her.

She's supposed to come over this morning so we can work on her term paper that's due tomorrow. Hopefully I can get more info out of her. It's hard to track her when she doesn't live here.

Ropefree

Banned
CAll the prescribing psyciatrist and inform them of this new developement and require a call back at earliest convieniance today and get her in for a check on this asap. Not one "extra" night of 'yelling in her head'. Wether it is obsessive thinking about, anxiety, or halusinations the person to help is the psyciatrist and I say safe and not sorry.
mini-lecture from my opinion, take it or leave it.

KTMom91

We got the paper written, went to Target, and things seemed fine. I asked if her head was still yelling, and she said, "It's not really yelling, it just makes me feel like I'm in trouble for something. But it's not there today." She didn't know/wouldn't say what she thought she was in trouble for, and I couldn't find out anything else from her. She'll be over first thing in the morning to get her paper, she had a mini-meltdown waiting for Hubby to fix the formatting, and took off.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. This kind of thing is scary for us and we are not experiencing it. It does sound like hallucinations, but I am not sure what the treatment is. when wiz hallucinated we just sort of "rode it out" and kept assuring him it was not what was really being said (at one time we used a tape recorder in his classroom (sp ed with 3 kids including him AND 3 teachers) so that he could go back and figure out what was real and what wasn't.

I am just sending hugs and prayers. For all of you.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know you're thinking hallucinations, but I just wonder if maybe it's some kind of severe free-floating anxiety? Does she actually hear voices, or is it just the tense, anxious feeling you get when someone is yelling at you?

janebrain

It sounds somewhat like what my dtr (difficult child 2/easy child) has described. She has voices in her head and they get panicky or they get angry and yell at her. She has a dissociative disorder so these voices are really parts of herself that she has compartmentalized so they don't feel integrated. She is receiving EMDR therapy to help her integrate her different parts.

Jane

KTMom91

From talking to her again this morning, when she came to pick up her paper, it seems to be more of an anxiety thing. She's 17, a senior in high school, with no concrete plans for next year, no job, a boyfriend who dumped her because she is "moody", though she keeps trying to get him back, no friends to speak of, and she ignores anything that she doesn't want to deal with...it seems to me she's in a free fall and scared to death of the future. And since I'm dumber than dirt, any suggestions I offer or have offered are met with great negativity.

Jena

that's good, well not good but i'd prefer that to the hallucinations. My difficult child has gone through that as well at times the extreme anxiety which causes them to be hyper sensitive to it all, as well as hyper vigilant. my T taught me those words. lol.

yea i was going to say i'm with gvcmom on that one. Anxiety can do such horrible things i've come to learn.

i hope things stay calm for her for a while now going through the holidays. :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Would she listen to your mom? Maybe that's someone who could plant some suggestions with her or whom she could talk with to get some things off her mind and help her regain some perspective. My difficult child 1 feels a lot better when he can unload the stuff he holds inside and worries over.

KTMom91

She won't talk to my mom, apparently she's also dumber than dirt, and much too old to understand anything. She does talk to her father, and that worries me, because they're both about 13 emotionally. He came up today to see her, hopefully it helped. Tonight is the winter formal that the boyfriend was supposed to take her to, she got the dress and everything, then she was "too moody."

She's visiting M this weekend, and that always means fun. M is Useless Boy's former girlfriend, who pitched him out several years ago when she got tired of being the designated adult. She was always good with Miss KT, and I wrote to her, didn't know how the note would be taken, but thanked her for being so kind to my daughter. M was thrilled to hear from me, and Miss KT goes to see her several times a year. M is a great role model and just a nice lady. I think a weekend of girl stuff, shopping, and just relaxing will be good for Miss KT, and getting out of town can't hurt.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I think if there is at least ONE adult in her life that she will talk to, then maybe she'll open up and get some of these things out in the open that are making her feel so tense and anxious. And if it's this M person and she's someone you feel comfortable having Miss KT around, then so much the better. I hope she comes back after the weekend feeling a little better and maybe a little more stable.

Hope you find some time to rest and recharge too :)

nickp1

hi im 15 and it sounds like i am hearing the same voices. im not on any medication though. it just sounds like voices yelling and yelling at me like i did something really bad but i have no idea what they are saying. it only happens once in a while but it really freaks me out. ive learned to just live with it

tiredmommy

Hi Nick and welcome. First off, I need to let you know this is a site for parents, not teens. But more importantly... you need to talk to an adult you can trust about the voices: a parent,aunt/uncle, teacher, family doctor, etc. There may be something serious going on or not, but there are treatments to help. Good luck.