It turned out that we didn't have to make a decision . . .

Kathy813

Staff member
We are not going to visit difficult child this Tuesday. I teach online classes and had forgotten that our face-to-face final exams are on Tuesday and I have to be there.

I told difficult child when she called tonight and her first reaction was "but I am out of deodorant."

She brought up the issue of coming home after the 28 days are up again. I told her that I didn't want to give her false hope so she needs to work on transition housing with her counselor. She said that the she and the counselor had come up with the idea of a contract. I burst out laughing. difficult child would never think twice when it came to breaking a contract. been there done that.

I told her again that she needs to work on a place to go after she leaves the treatment center. She didn't get mad and said that she had been looking at the halfway housing but asked that we keep an "open mind" until we talk to the counselor. At that point, the time ran out so I didn't have to answer.

I am going to call the counselor tomorrow and make sure that she understands the situation.

One positive thing was that difficult child made the comment that she didn't like the person that she was when she was using and didn't want to go back to being that person again. That was the first time that I had ever heard her admit that she had a substance abuse problem.

So we have a week of tranquility ahead.

DDD

You need and deserve a break. Awesome that you will have time to exhale, my friend. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Nice that she said something appropriate but...do remember that grains of Morton's are needed. Hugs. DDD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I love when things like this happen, it's like Fate taking the decision out of our hands. Enjoy the peace.

witzend

Kathy - what a really nice post! Life isn't always easy, but your difficult child (and you) sounds as if she is moving forward. I'd call that face to face test very "serendipitous". It gives you both a good chance to meditate on what the important things in your lives are.