It was just a little scrape...

F

flutterbee

Wynter got scrapes on her knees from one of the water rides last week. More like a rug burn type thing. It is now Monday and instead of looking better, they are looking worse...more red, larger and feel a tad warm.

We have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning at 9:30. Anything I should be looking for or doing in the meantime? It's also itching and driving her crazy and nothing seems to stop the itch.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The itching is probably from the skin drying out as it tries to heal. Have you put any antibiotic ointment on it?

F

flutterbee

That's what I told her, too, but it looks worse and has gotten larger and a little (not a lot) puffy. We put antibiotic ointment on the first night. I'll have to ask her if she's put on anymore.

Lothlorien

If they don't use the proper chemicals at those water parks, they can harbor all kinds of ickies. If she's scratching at it that could be the reason why it's getting worse, though. Keep putting on Neosporin. I think there is a Neosporin with cortisone ointment, now.

KTMom91

We use medicated powder in the summer, since the ointments can feel goopy, and dog hair sticks to it. It seems to soothe the itching as well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Aren't those slides made out of fiberglass? Or do they do that these days?

If so, she could have glass fibers under the skin that are trying to work their way out. They do this with the inflammed response.

F

flutterbee

That never occurred to me, Lisa.

However, I'm thinking it's looking like impetigo. Which, by the way, I never even heard of until it was mentioned a few times close together on this board a few weeks ago. But, I looked up descriptions and pictures online and it bears a resemblance. We'll find out in the morning.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I mentioned the fiberglass because way back 20 some yrs ago we'd had a water park put in our hometown. Suddenly the ER was flooded with people scraped up by the darn things. ER docs would tell them it was the fiber glass and that it would work itself out of the skin.

My Mom also had fiberglass curtains when I was a kid. I was doing something with them one day and got lots of those darn fibers under the skin. Itchy and painful both.

Keeping fingers crossed it's not impetago.

Hugs

F

flutterbee

No infection! Yippee. Doctor said it looks like an allergic and/or inflammatory response. Lisa, I told her what you said about the fiberglass and she said it's possible. She told Wynter to make sure she scrubs it well in case there is any little fibers of glass in there to get them out and rx'd a stronger steroid cream than what we already have. She said not to use it for more than 2 weeks or it can cause the skin to thin. If it's not better in 2 weeks, we have to go back.

Poor Wynter was so miserable last night. After using gobs and gobs and gobs of benadryl cream, she finally got it to the point where it wasn't making her so miserable she was crying. The poor thing - they are so red and puffy and just look like they feel miserable. She actually said she'd rather have pain than the itching. This from my girl with a negative pain tolerance.

I asked Devon if the slide was fiberglass and he said he's not sure, but it's possible.

Lothlorien

If the itching is bad at night, perhaps you can give her some Benedryl to take orally. If nothing else, it may help her to sleep.

F

flutterbee

I tried to get her to take oral benadryl last night and to soak in an oatmeal bath. She refused both, but she did give them considerable thought...which tells me just how miserable she is because she *hates* taking pills and baths. I think if the benadryl cream hadn't finally started to work, she would have. I'll definitely suggest it again, though. Thanks.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Poor kid. I don't remember how long it took the fiberglass to work it's way out of the skin, but I know I was miserable til it did. :(

Hope she feels better soon.