It's 2am and the snow plows are out.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I understand the need to plow streets, but at 2am???? 6am I can handle. 2am? And, it's not like they make one swipe and they're done. They go back and forth, back and forth. Toss in that I live on a corner lot so I have two streets to listen to. I swear, they'll be out there for 2 hours.

Beep, beep, beep as they back up constantly. Now I guess I'll have to uncover my mailbox AGAIN.:mad:

I heard on the news tonight that this is the snowiest winter in recorded history here. I think you all should come up here and enjoy the event. It's historical. I'll make hot chocolate, build a huge bonfire, put on some tunes and we can watch the snow plows.

Abbey

Wiped Out

Staff member
Abbey, I hate when the plows come through so early (on the other hand, I'm glad when I can get out to drive to work). Uncovering the mailbox is the worst! The other day the plow knocked ours down:mad: We just broke a record for the snowiest December ever as well! At least you can start a countdown to how many days before you visit Las Vegas!:D

dreamer

here the plows always go out around the clock. they can more efficiently plow when there are less cars on the road & they can also get it better plowed if they begin early. here the send the plows out even before the snow starts & our plows also spread salt. I have a thread here about our weird weather too. we broke several different records last week. in one week we had minus 35 with windchill & 62 another day.....with 2 ice storms 2 intense blizzards thunderstorms tornados & record breaking floods. take comfort in the plows trying to keep your roads safer.

muttmeister

Snowplows always go out early here too.
#1 - it is easier to plow with less traffic in the way
#2 - it is easier to remove the snow when it hasn't been driven over and packed down
#3- if they don't have the streets cleared before it is time to go to work, people raise #$!! about it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yes, I understand the need for timing, but it IS annoying. I was up 4 times last night and I guess I was a bit grumpy.:whiteflag:

The culmination of the night was H, in a bit of anger slashed my inflatable bed because I wouldn't listen to him at a 4am rant. Sigh. Now I have this big blob laying in the middle of my room. Not repareable. RIP. Now I have to go to my backup tiny inflatable.

(@#*&#*@&#&^$&*#*$&#&#*$R& - you don't want to know what that says)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
The best is when they drag the plow over the bare street, and it wakes you up because the sound is SO loud and it sounds like metal and machine are at war ripping the streets up.
It would make me sit straight up in bad every time, I would think, "Allright, you have plowed it down far enough! You think!!! $*#Y$*$&^@*$($"
Then they would come back for one more pass, just in case they missed one fleck of ice or snow... $*#&@*@(#$

They get paid a lot!!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
They might get paid a lot, but I don't think you'd want ME doing that job. (Remember, driving phobia, poor eyesight...) Every car on the street would have this big gash as I passed by. Missing driver side doors, etc. Mailboxes? Where are they? Oopps...I plowed them down. My bad. Not a problem. I'll just plow more snow on top of them so you won't know. You'll spend days shoveling trying to find the box.

HIRE ME!!:D

Abbey

dreamer

not sure I would say they get paid a 'lot' exactly.....so unpredictable many plow drivers do it as a 2nd job......the hours hoover....my bro drives a plow....some winters there's little work....some he never gets home...last week one day he plowed 22 hrs straight

TerryJ2

I don't remember the beepbeepbeep when they backed up, but then, I moved from MN 20 yrs ago and maybe they didn't have backup beepers then.
I just remember the Schnirrrsiriiiiooorrrrpstcksht scraping sounds in the middle of the night.
Then again, that could have been husband snoring.