It's always nice when the cops call your house

TerryJ2

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

I'd wait for difficult child to walk in the front door, and then roll out the tune from The Twilight Zone on the church piano.

mstang67chic

Going Green
The cops finally came and picked up the stuff late this afternoon according to husband. They also took difficult child and his buddy around to gather up all of the stuff that they had stashed or dumped in various places. Some of it, however, is already gone. difficult child had hidden some in the garage of the empty house next door not knowing that people had been there cleaning it up. (foreclosure) I'm guessing the cleaners got rid of it or took it home thinking it was left there by the previous occupants. It's now 8:47 pm, difficult child isn't home and his phone goes right to voice mail. No idea if he's in jail or out running around plotting more mayhem.

Oh and according to husband, the cops admitted that sending difficult child AND the stolen stuff home last night MAYBE wasn't such a bright idea. :slap:

klmno

Well at least you know where he is. I might have missed it, but was he released with a court date or did they just let him walk? I'm sitting here thinkgin, "surely they didn't let him off scott free for this- especially since all the merchandise wasn't recouped".

mstang67chic

Going Green
There hasn't actually been an arrest yet. Supposedly the arrest warrant won't happen for another couple of weeks.

HOWEVER....being the female dog that I am....I've been busy on my Facebook page this evening. Our mayor, who coincidentally is a retired city police officer, is one of my facebook friends and an old family friend of husband's family. So.....I told him what happened last night and he called it bull pooey too! hahahahahahahahah!!!! I believe he's going to have a little chat with the chief of police tomorrow. :bigsmile:

klmno

I hate to say this but that might be for the best- if he's anything like my difficult child, he'd keep getting into bigger trouble once he's started plowing down that road.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just keep thinking something like RENO 911 or Mayberry when Andy goes on Vacation and leaves Barney and Goober in charge. really - there was no squad car outside to put it in the trunk huh? No corner in that jail no nothing huh? AMAZING. I bet once one of them is suspended pending an investigation (cause you are a Pootie Girl) there will be Pleeeeeeeeenty O room. GO GET EM GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

mstang67chic

Going Green
The mayor was under the impression difficult child was still a minor. When I set him straight on that, he REALLY though it was bull pooey. Sending an ADULT confessed burglar home WITH the loot? Ohhhhhh....he was not a happy mayor.

Mattsmom277

Wow, my first instinct is to tell you I'm sorry you are going through this. I would be beside myself. I admire your determination to allow husband to handle it. Good for you!!!

My second instinct is, to nearly choke with 1) laughter 2) incredulousness (made that word up I think) 3) sheer disbelief that the following day a officer can say that maybe it wasnt' a good idea to send a adult criminal offender who confessed to several burglaries HOME WITH THE STOLEN PROPERTY ... and because they didn't have a place to store it yet?!? WTH? As if! Store it under desks, piled in a corner, in the trunk of their dang cruisers if need be. As for it taking several weeks to get a arrest warrant for a confessed burglar? Even AFTER you drive said offender around to collect the rest of the stashed "loot"??? I'm literally unable to think of what would come out of my mouth about that series of events. Not of course that I'd want to see my child arrested for multiple burglaries. But knowing they did do it, I would fully expect something more out of my police department.

Hang in there, I will hope for sure that your difficult child learns somehow through this that crime doesn't pay and its time to grow up. Maybe shock will do it in a few weeks. Something tells me once they DO get around to a arrest warrant and after a talking to from the mayor, the police and the prosecutors etc are going to go very "letter of the law" while handling the rest of this. I don't think he'll be catching any breaks simpy because they will try to redeem themselves.

Out of pure curiosity, why would/does it take a "few weeks" for a arrest warrant? I know we are in different countries and have different ways of doing things but I'd have thought in this day and age most places would simply lay criminal charges on the spot?

TerryJ2

Go gettum, Mstng! Yeah, that wasn't such a bright idea. Sheesh. Reminds me of the time in our old neighborhood when someone drove their car over the curb and around someone's yard and smashed a cpl signs. The cop let them go because he didn't know what to charge them with. Don't these officers have to go to school?Best of luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
Gee, is it any wonder many young adults have little respect for the police? My mind is just blown by the knowledge that they sent him home, came back the next day to drive him around to get the stuff, and then LET HIM GO HOME AGAIN!!!

I wonder if they could find him if he went to a nearby city? Seems to me they might think he fell off the earth.

Kudos on the facebook use. Hopefully the mayor will put enough pressure on the police that they do their job! If nothing else the situation will result in a lot of people laughing at the police, and this may get them moving.

I am so sorry you have to deal with any of this. Esp the part about him getting arrested.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Out of pure curiosity, why would/does it take a "few weeks" for a arrest warrant? I know we are in different countries and have different ways of doing things but I'd have thought in this day and age most places would simply lay criminal charges on the spot?

I'm trying to figure that out myself. I THINK part of it has to do with verifying exactly what was stolen from where because there was a lot more involved than what was at our house. Other than that...I have no idea.

Mattsmom277

Well that makes some sense actually. I know that here you would get arrested on whatever they knew at the time and would add in more charges if needed as investigation progresses.

I shared this post with my S/O and he too wanted to tell you he is thinking of you and your husband and your difficult child. I hope that this situation gets resolved in a manner that helps your difficult child wake up to the reality of the adult world, its laws and expectations. Hang in there!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thank you....it does help knowing all of you guys are out there.

I am really curious to talk to the mayor again. I don't know if he would tell me exactly what was said between him and the chief but I'm dying to find out what I can.

DammitJanet

I will be honest, this makes no sense but nothing the police do makes much sense to me anymore. It seems to me that it is more of a who you are and who you know thing now. Certain people can get caught with a joint and do ten years. Others can darn near kill someone and get probation.

I think I will learn more and more about the behind the scenes of law enforcement because Jamie is itching to become either a regular cop or a state trooper. I dont think I will sleep any better at night knowing he is doing either one of those. Animals may bite and owners can get a bit irate, and I know that he is a first responder up there and does all the regular deputy things like traffic stops, but as a regular cop or trooper he is in much more danger. Ugh.

klmno

Ditto Janet's first paragraph. However, I have noticed that what the police do or don't do doesn't have a lot to do with the sentence- at least for juveniles around here. It has a LOT to do with whomever the attnys listen to the most before finalizing their agreement just before court.

My gut feeling tells me that in mstang's difficult child's situation, the police figured here is a responsible family because they just hauled their son in with the stuff they know he stole. So we don't need to hold him in jail until a court hearing- he's low risk. Being that they took that approach, that means they decided not to arrest him right away so couldn't really hold "evidence" but didn't see much need to- they banked on husband holding it and this also gives them more time to put an arrrest warrant in. Generally speaking, the "quick" court hearings and paper trails only occur when a person is being held in jail. I don't know what it's like in mstang's state, but around here there have been many, many cuts in services for people and that means more people in legal trouble while staff is still being cut, leaving jails overcrowded and courts backed up. If the person is considered low risk, they won't expedite it.

I honestly wish I hadn't learned all this. LOL!