its been a long evening - medication background?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
and my level for tolerance may just be exceeded, but, i just hurt

the splint on my ankle constantly feels too tight. if i hold me leg in the air (the way they formed this one) it is ok, but if i rest it on raied pillows, it feels like the edges of the plint board cut into the sides of my ankle. constantly. they gave me the ok to loosen it, so tonight i did. and while tha ace bandages were off, it felt fine. it was iffy, but i could get me leg inside the splint boards in one position that was not painful. just a slight **** one way or the other tho, and i had the cutting feeling again.

but with the bandages back on, even tho they are loose, its back to the constant cutting into my leg feeling. and i;ve had it with it tonight.

the first splint - done while i was in surgery, was not nearly like this.

if i go in the morning and ask them to resplint this, will it help? or is this just a pain that goes with the territory?

(my ankle was nearly severed. it is pinned and plated, all internal now. it is wrapped in 2 layers of thick ctton batting, with a fiberglass backing board on the back of my leg, held with another layer of gauze and an ace bandage. the fiberglass board was fitted by a single doctor holding it to my leg while forming it as it cured, while holding my leg in the air.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm sorry you're hurting and so uncomfortable tonight, Shari. I can't answer your question, but if it were me, I'd call the doctor in the morning and ask for something to be done. You're going to be in these supports for a while yet and there's no reason for you to be uncomfortable if you don't have to be. So please do call and ask.
((((hugs))))

slsh

member since 1999
Shari, I'd at least call - probably go back in for resplinting. I would guess you had, have, and will continue to have varying amts of swelling. When you took the wrap off, could you see any red mark or indentation from the splint? If so, then don't bother calling - go in and have it redone.

Boo's had braces/splints/all kinds of medieval torture devices for his feet and ankles for 2 decades now - first sign of redness from pressure, we take him in to get them re-sized.

The absolutely very last thing you want at this point is any kind of skin breakdown from a pressure sore from the splint.

Hang in there!

crazymama30

I agree with slsh. They will most likely be a little uncomfortable, but they should not be causing pain. You can get pressure sores (aka bed sores) from a cast and I have seen many of them. You have to be very careful with your foot.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Ouch! You almost severed your ankle?!? Holy cow! I hope this healing goes quickly and with less pain.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i cant see the wound or incision; all they gave the ok for was to loosen the ace bandage. i have to leave the rest in place, and between the wound drainage and the fiberglass being stuck to the gauze, looking into it any further would mean i'd have to get resplinted.

I finally took the ace off last night and cut a piece about 12"long off of each end (the ends have velcro for closure). Its 6" wide and i used those to make 2 independant wraps around my ankle and upper leg, and used a second bandage to go around my foot. it got me thru the night, anyway, and i can keep my foot in that tiny little spot in the board that isn't painful.

it was a long night.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{Shari}}} Aw, I feel so bad that you're in such discomfort and pain. I agree that you should call the DR, even if you were able to get through the night. Hugs and I'll pray for a speedy healing.

KTMom91

I'd make the call, too. At least see if the doctor can rewrap or get rid of the pieces that feel like they're poking.

Hugs.

DammitJanet

I agree...get to the doctor and see what they can do to make it more comfortable. I am sure there will be some discomfort because...well, you did darn near lose the foot, but I think the cast should be at least ok...if not, more pain medications are called for.

susiestar

Roll With It
Do NOT be shy about telling the docs you need more pain medications. Pain is VERY subjective, and there is no set amount of pain medications that is appropriate, largely because every person tolerates them differently. You must be VERY careful about sores from the splint - go and get it redone and at the same time ask/demand more pain medications. I KNOW you don't like them, but your body will NOT heal properly if the pain is not treated appropriately. You may become accustomed to the pain medications so that they must taper you off of them, but you likely have VERY LITTLE risk of addiction. It may not be well known, but reputable sources say that patients who are experiencing real pain have a rate of true addiction that is about 0.1%. It really IS that low, regardless of what the drug czars and DEA want us to believe. If your pain isn't handled, the healing is going to take extra weeks or months, and may NEVER reach the point that it would if you had appropriate pain control the entire time.

In time you will need less pain medications. You will take less because you don't need as much, and likely will wean yourself off of them. We hear a LOT about people who have injuries and then are running around trying to find illegal opiates. Those people almost always have a prior history of addiction to something, whether they got help and treatment or not.

medications won't get rid of all the pain, they are not supposed to. They ARE supposed to keep the pain under control though.

The splint should NOT be causing pain. That it is means there is likely swelling or some problem that the docs need to see. Please go and ask the docs about it.

A side note: If you are going to be needing the ace bandages for the next several months (which sounds very likely), it is an excellent idea to check online and buy them in builk. I generally get 50 of them for about $ 30, shipped. The 6 inch ones will be a bit more expensive, but it is cheaper than paying $4 or $5 each for them. You can find the velcro ones, or the ones with the clasps. I get the kind with the metal on either end and a bit of elastic in between. They seem to work better than those shiny aluminum clips. The bandages I buy are not the top quality, but Jess and husband have never needed the best quality. I just got tired of having to keep buying them. We went almost a year on the 50 I bought, and after the holidays I plan to buy 50 more.

The only time this would be a bad idea is if your insurance is going to pay for them once you are at home. I can find some sites if you want me to. Just let me know.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i thought maybe i had it solved but kast night proved me wrong. i am going to get it redone as soon as wee gets off to school.

will probaby ask for doff pain medications as i'm taking vicodin every 4 hours which seems a little too much for the acetometaphn in it.

Shari,

I've been in the WC but missed the thread on your accident. I found out about it by reading a thread you started in General. I hope by now you've seen the doctor, have better pain medications, the splint has been taken care of, and you're feeling a bit better!!! Keeping you in my thoughts... Hugs... SFR

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I got the new splint. The guy who did it had help and did nuch more prep then the guy who put on that last one. So far, tho tighter, this one has been more comfortable. We'll see what the night brings; thats when it tends to get tough.
The one thing odd about this split, tho, is that he didn't worry about keeping my foot in a flexed position. Its just in a semi-relaxed natural position. But he seemed to know what he was doingm so I didn't ask. Things have just changed so much from how they used to do things.

slsh

member since 1999
Shari - so glad you got a new one. I was hoping you would. Interesting about the positioning - when Boo had his ankle and toe surgery (5-6 years ago?) , they definitely had him in a flexed position... but then, his feet are so goofy anyway, probably not a good basis for comparison, LOL. Thinking about your foot, though, it kinda makes sense to keep it in a neutral position so that one set of muscles aren't stretched while the others contracted. I'm sure you're going to have lots of PT in your future - maybe it's easier to start off with- a leg that's been more naturally positioned. I dunno - just a guess. But I'm really glad that you have a new splint - hope you're able to get a decent night's rest!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i came home and slept 4 hours straight! and was 5 hours before i needed pain medications, which was great. i made myself stay up this afternoon, tho, so hopefully i can sleep tonight.

Shari,

So glad you got a new splint and were able to sleep four hours straight! Hoping you were able to get a good night's sleep last night... Keeping you in my thoughts... SFR