It's fun to do bad things

TerryJ2

Wow. I'd want to "whup his behind," too! And he thinks he should just be grounded off video games for a week.
I'd ground him off of his "friends" for life. Nice friends. I'm speechless.

trinityroyal

I'm speechless!
I'm with you Terry. I'd be tempted to "whup his behind" as well.

No video games for a weekend? Sheesh!

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
I cast my vote for "whup his behind" and am just speechless that all the child thinks he should have as punishment is no videogames for a weekend.

I hope somewhere there is some type of help for this child. I am not sure the system CAN help him, but most types of help are only accessible and affordable if you are "in the system".

Sounds like a long haul raising that child AND his friends.

Why isn't the other little boy in trouble??? There were TWO 7yo boys in the car. Clearly the driving child should be in the most trouble, but the other child should be in some trouble also.

meowbunny

Let's see -- we know he's 7, we know he's in the custody of his grandmother, we know he thinks doing bad things is fun, we know he took his grandmother's car for a joyride. We don't know if he has any mental disorders or illnesses, we don't know whether his parents are ill, dead, in prison or what. If you ask most 7 year olds, they're going to tell you that doing bad things is fun. They have no clue of the seriousness of their actions -- that's why they aren't charged (normally) or treated as an older child or adult once they've done something wrong. We don't know if he's normally a pretty good kid who just goes astray on occasion (like most kids do). Yet, we've decided his grandmother needs to be on this board, that the boy will be a handful as he grows older and that the child is a sociopath in the making.

Wouldn't it help to get the facts before we judge? Sorry, but there is nothing "soft" about this thread.

witzend

I guess for me it was the question by the reporter in response to his statement "It's fun to run into cars", "Did you know that you could perhaps kill somebody?" Answer "Yes, but I wanted to do hood riding stuff with my friends." For those of you who aren't aware, "hood riding" is riding around looking for trouble and making it (beat downs on strangers) when you find none.

I don't pretend to know what led up to this other than he said he did it because he was angry at his mom. I don't know if there's anything wrong mentally or physically with him. What I can see for myself is the boy has no regrets for what he did, is bragging about it, and is enjoying his notoriety.

And Grandma could use our help. And he's a little sociopath in the making if someone doesn't do something to help both of them. If it's not too late.

KTMom91

I think Grandma has the right idea by whupping his behind. It's too bad that, in trying to raise her grandson right, she might be the one jailed. If that had been Miss KT, she wouldn't have been able to sit comfortably for at least a week. It seemed to me that the boy was very proud of his actions, and that pride needs to be deflated quickly, before he thinks of something else that gets him on national TV, and if a whupping takes care of that pride, so be it.

meowbunny

I do think the worst thing that could have happened did -- he got way too much attention of a positive nature for his actions. What kid doesn't want to be on television. Better yet, on TV and the reporter is asking HIM questions!!! grrrrrr

He's 7. He really has no clue as to the consequences of his actions. Personally, I know that I did things at 7 that were "bad" and thought they were downright fun. Given today's media, few 7 YOs understand the concept that dead is dead. They think you die, get up and go on to the next scene.

At 17, I drank and rode as a passenger with kids who were drunk. At 18, I experimented with drugs. They were all fun at the time. No way would I do them now.

There is no question this grandmother needs help right now. Somehow, she has to guide him to want to do the right thing and that isn't easy in today's world. I hope she succeeds. At least the idea is to get him help the only way it seems to be possible today -- with court intervention.

I also hope and pray she doesn't need this board in the future. We may give a lot of support but we're here because of a lot of pain.