It's hard to admit, but has anyone ever done this..

N

nandz

Has anyone ever been guilty of thinking your difficult child has to be "perfect" because they are on medications? I have some people in our families that think just because difficult child is on medications that he should be a easy child. I said, "are you kidding me???!!" Even on medications, he will still have issues probably for the rest of his life. The medications just help him be able to function a little more normally to be able to fit in and do well in society. I mean even easy child's are no where from perfect. easy child's have tantrums, fits, pout, sass, talk back, etc...I'm guilty..anyone else guilty or anyone in their family guilty?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
It took me a while and then it clicked for me. While medications help our difficult children maintain stability, control rages, etc, many times (or in our case) our babies have these negative coping behaviors ingrained.

Once the medications were the best it got for kt & wm then the deep interventions, therapy, Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) skills, coping, emotional regulation, etc, those interventions kicked in big time. We were throwing away money until psychiatrist found the right combo of medications for kt & wm.

TerryJ2

The medications just help him be able to function a little more normally to be able to fit in and do well in society.

Right.

many times (or in our case) our babies have these negative coping behaviors ingrained.

Definitely. :sad-very:

trinityroyal

Yup. Done that.

I agree that the medications seem to provide our difficult children with a baseline of sorts, that lets them be in a position to be helped by the other interventions. But make them "normal"? Not a chance.