It's ironic, but...

tiredmommy

Duckie's 20/20 vision may be what gets her services at school. She appears to be having vision processing problems despite 20/20 vision and, while not making enough of an educational impact to have an IEP the school Occupational Therapist (OT) is referring her to the Student Support Team to get her into the Occupational Therapist (OT) room for 30 minutes per week. The Occupational Therapist (OT) also suspects vestibular problems and knows she has hyper mobility of her joints. She is also giving Duckie's teacher some classroom suggestions that will help her with learning.

This is a good thing for Duckie. :thumbsup:

busywend

TM, I am not sure what that all means exactly - but it sounds like it is a good thing for Duckie - so I am happy for you both! LOL!

Vision processing problems. Is that like seeing something backwards or opposite?

tiredmommy

Vision processing problems. Is that like seeing something backwards or opposite?

Her acuity is fine, but her brain is processing the info from her eyes incorrectly. She seems to have problems with depth perception and visual tracking. An example would be her nickname on the site here: Duckie. She got that name because she would hold up her arms to block her head and duck if you tossed a ball softly toward her.

smallworld

TM, depth perception problems can be related to how the eyes work together, or what is known as convergence issues. Has Duckie been evaluated by a pediatric ophthalmologist (NOT optometrist)? If not, I'd recommend it.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope that they can give Duckie some help. I also ducked anytime anything was thrown at me. I was married before I could reliably catch anything. It is hard to go through school like that - the other kids tease you a LOT.

My mom had a pair of glasses break while she was wearing them when she was a kid. When I was very little she decided seh wanted to get through that flinching reaction so she asked my dad to help. They started with my dad throwing marshmallows at her to help her stop flinching and covering her face. it took some time, but she doesn't do it anymore (flinch, duck, OR let my dad throw marshmallows at her).

As I said, I hope hte school can help with this.

busywend

I hope Occupational Therapist (OT) has some answers or at least some suggestions!

I had no idea that was why Duckie came to exist.

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM,
I'm so glad Duckie will be getting the Occupational Therapist (OT) services. I remember when my difficult child was that age he had the same type of visual tracking problem (but not the depth perception). Occupational Therapist (OT) really has helped him with that.