It's not fleas...

Star*

call 911........call 911
BIG FOOT - LIZARD MAN.....black widow spiders......Learn the difference between a rattle snake and a coach whip, one will kill you one just wants to scare you - BOTH will rattle their tale and strikehttp://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/Masfla/Mas_fla.html ......Water moccaisans and a water snake......CORAL snake and a king snake (red touch yellow kill a fella)

Lemme see - COYOTES get pretty big in NC - Then so do - Opossums in the trash cans.........RACOONS get up to 40 some pounds...... Deer at night, in the morning - the little whistlers on the hood of your car help ROck slides. Fishing spiders.

Jelly Fish and sharks if you go to the beach.......Scorpions.......Bears. Hellbenders........(they stay in creekbeds) ------and these large lizards with red heads - we get them here over a foot long - and they pack a mean bite.

Hmmmmmm STINGING NETTLES - OMG yeah those - NASTY. IT's a plant with barbs and they are awful - kids used to pick them and swat each other with them -

BULL Thistles - LOOK beautiful - and are the scourge of the earth -

Wisteria - INVASIVE .......but georgeous.

We've discussed the goat business - so you know about kudzu.

Gypsy moths -

Texas Cattle Killers - actually velvet ants but are really a wasp (bright orange and black) AWFUL things. Won't die if you step on them - they squeal. Best to just catch them and remove them - their sting can be lethal to pets.

Yellow and red wasps - VERY AGGRESSIVE - stay away .....they will chase you.

The bugs in general down here? most of them are aggressive.

H

HaoZi

The farther south you go, the less likely bug spray will do anything useful. Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac... sand spurs, sand fleas... different types of skeeters that carry different types of diseases and all of them prefer different times of day/dark... gator tastes great but don't let the wildlife officer know you killed it.

Maybe too far south for the info you're looking for, lol. What are hellbenders?

susiestar

Roll With It
Never been there except to drive through going somewhere else, but I thought chiggers pretty much lived everywehre like gnts and no-see-ums and ants. sorry. i did tell you to watch for the skeeters, i am pretty sure. Here they are nasty enough of a breed that visitors and newcomers often end t the ER and sometimes go into such an allergic reacton that they need treatment for anaphylaxis. Even with-o scratching the welts get bigger than quarter and are very irregularly shaped. Those are signs to get medicl tx or at last a couple bendryl if you re unaware/an idiot. not rumor or friend of a friend story. I have taken 2 people to the ER for this and sent severl other. One girl had just moved here and was kept for 2 dys bc her reaction was very bad.

witzend

We are going to Atlanta for a conference/to see friends this summer, but we're staying in the big city so I'm hoping there will be no more bugs than there are here.

There really aren't any chiggers in the NW. If there are, they're far and few between and you don't notice them.

Star, if you think I'm getting into any water here beyond the tub, you've got another think coming! I don't even get into swimming pools unless there's a pool boy with drinks there! About that goat business? How's that coming along?

DammitJanet

The ocean is okay as long as you stay just about knee deep. I love pools. Im good with anything I can see the bottom and sides of. Tony and the boys love our river. They used to jump off the bridge here.

TerryJ2

Sounds familiar. You need different chemicals for that.
Worst case scenario: a cement patio instead of grass. :)
I feel for you. Chiggers are awful.

H

HaoZi

Yellow flies... not sure if you have them there, they cluster around rivers and such in FL, have a bite like a horsefly that hurts for weeks. Nasty things.

Kathy813

Staff member
Witz, Atlanta is above the gnat line so that won't be an issue this summer when you visit. I have lived in an Atlanta suburb for over 30 years and have never had chiggers.

I don't think you will have a problem with bugs while you are here.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
WE HAD -----
*BETTER BUSINESS NAME
*BETTER GOAT NAMES (LORD DID BE HAVE BETTER NAMES)
*BETTER BUSINESS PLAN, STOCK OPTIONS and SEXIER GOATS

and I wouldn't pick my nose on video.....or wear carhart bibs....
[video=youtube_share;V7-U6Q9Hdm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-U6Q9Hdm0[/video]