It's official -- husband is unemployed.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so very sorry. This hoovers. don't rush into any decisions if you don't have to. With the mood disorder and seizure disorder, any chance he could get disability?

North is right - COBRA is VERY expensive. You may be able to get the kids insured by the state (medicare for kids - different name for each state - here it is Soonercare) with no problems.

SEnding hugs and all the strength I can!

tiredmommy

My understanding is that the employer is currently responsible for 65% of the laid off workers cobra premium; this just recently went into effect.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm so sorry. I went through that a few years ago. It's scary and demoralizing. The best revenge is finding a better job- fingers crossed!

I'm getting the chicken livers ready in case a dance is required.

Suz

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Sorry GVC - There are a lot of people out there chewing their nails over potential job loss - hovers that your husband lost his.

Marcie

Marguerite

Sorry that this happened.

One (small) consolation - getting another job, at least losing this one won't go against him. So many people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, that any prospective employer is not going to worry about even a long period of "out of work".

But given his depression plus the need to keep occupied, can you manufacture some volunteer work for him, to keep him functional? It could even lead to a job opportunity ifhe's lucky. And even if he's not - next job interview he goes for, when they ask what he's been doing - ANY volunteer work he's done will make him a standout candidate against the others, even if it's volunteering in a very different area to where the job would lead.

I have some ideas if you like.

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so very sorry. been there done that multiple times and I swear it hoovers major every single time.

I'm just waiting for husband to get the axe. This evening he told me the company has consoldated from 3 shifts down to only 2. If things don't pick up, it will then go to only one. It's an attempt to lay off as few employees as possible. So far husband still has his job, but who knows for how long.

((((hugs))))

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sorry to hear of the job loss, hope something pops up soon to take it's place, thinking of you and your family.......

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you all for the very kind words and encouragement. It means a lot to me. :)

I agree that when one door closes, another one opens. We'll get through this, I'm sure.

The severance package is very generous. They even gave us one month towards COBRA, which will run us about $1,500 a month. The medical is really my biggest concern because of all the issues we have. A major surgery like the one husband had last year would devastate us if we didn't have the insurance, so I will be sure to sign up for COBRA as soon as we get the paperwork. In the mean time, he's still on their books until the beginning of July, so I have some medical claims to submit, I'll need to make sure all our prescriptions are filled through mail order for 90 days, and get whatever appointments we need handled in the next month.

The whole situation is frustrating because husband is well respected for his ability and knowledge and experience. There are a lot of people in the company who are upset about his leaving. It seems like the ones making the decisions must be new to the company and not really understand the impact he's had. Or maybe it doesn't really matter based on whatever changes they'll be implementing in the re-org. Then again, no one is irreplaceable, right?

I have no doubt he'll find work eventually. He's panicking now, naturally. And feeling very inadequate. But he's trying not to show it and I worry that he's just stuffing it, Know what I mean?? He did have a little meltdown tonight and was lashing out unreasonably at all of us. Ranting about leaving lights on, wasting food, yada, yada, yada. How I have to go out now and get a job -- which is fine, I'll do whatever I need to do, but I don't think he realizes how limited my earning potential is having been out of the job market, let alone my previous career industry, for close to 15 years. I could end up costing us more in taxes than I'd bring home in income, if that makes sense.

Anyway, after he ate dinner and took his medications, he watched the NBA playoff game and now he's fine.

He's going to take a few weeks off for vacation and I think we'll try to do some camping. He needs to get his head straight and decompress.

It's a stress we can all do without, but like I said, we'll deal with it. He's a smart guy and has developed a very large network of friends who care for him (I just got another email from an associate who wants to keep in touch with him) -- and in his line of work networking is really the best way to land back on your feet after an event like this. It's how I got rehired after I was laid off 20 years ago -- through a friend who knew someone who knew someone else who needed someone like me :)

I so very much appreciate everyone's prayers and well wishes! And I offer up the same to those of you who are in similar situations. You can bet I'll keep you posted...

witzend

We were there in August 2001. Everyone felt so hopeless. husband was out of work for five months, and we held it together. Barely. There was no severance to speak of for him. Be sure that your hubby applies for unemployment, and have them take out taxes.

I think that you may want to look further into the COBRA situation. There was a new law passed in January that companies have to contribute 65% of the premium and guarantee COBRA for 9 months.

The most immediate and notable impact will be a significant reduction in the COBRA premiums paid by certain employees whose employment is involuntarily terminated (and their spouses and dependents who are COBRA-entitled). These individuals can get a 65 percent government-paid subsidy toward their COBRA premiums. Employers are required to 'front' the subsidy by paying the full premium and obtaining a reimbursement via a later payroll tax offset. The subsidy takes effect for COBRA coverage periods beginning after the February 17, 2009 enactment date (March 1, 2009 for most plans).

Good luck to all of you. Things will turn around.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks for the COBRA tip, Witz. I'll check into that for sure. According to some of the paperwork he already got, we'll get more info on that 65% subsidy when we get our COBRA packet in the mail (in about 2 weeks I think).

I hate to say this, but this may actually be a good lesson for husband on the importance of saving for a rainy day. He's always been a live-for-today kind of person, which has conflicted frequently with my save-for-tomorrow point of view! ;)

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm so sorry, it really does stink. I hate what the economy is doing to people. Praying a new job is found soon. Hugs.

Mattsmom277

So sorry to hear this. It is becoming the norm round here to run into people we know and hear the same thing "laid off". My fiance was laid off in Feb. No severance. Just called mid day to the boss's office, told he can leave early, had a 2 week pay in lieu of notice cheque to give him. That was that. He works (or should I say worked) in the mining industry. It is incredibly hard hit in this economy here in Canada. It will be a long time for it to bounce back.
After a month sitting home with us trying to figure out what to do, he applied to join the Department of National Defence (Canadian Air Force). He will be studying for 2 years to work as a radar tech on fighter jets etc. After his training, they will be posting us wherever they like. We will be gypsy's, posted somewhere new every 4 years. But it is security, great benefits, my MS medications (EXPENSIVE to point I can't get many that would help me ) are paid. No layoffs. We have decided to enjoy the frequent moves, seeing mroe of our lovely country and likely the odd posting to the USA (Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado .... we're excited for THAT posting) and overseas is likely too. Germany is a popular place for people in the forces in his trade. We've decided to turn this into an exciting adventure. But boy we had to work up to that idea. It is a big jump!!

I hope that your husband isn't too disallusioned and that he can find something again soon. I also hope he got severence to help while he has to hit the dreaded job hunting trail.

(((hugs)))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, Sharon.

MM227, it's good you can see the silver lining to the new situation, and I can totally understand how it takes a lot of time to get used to an idea like that. But really, what else can you do?

We're letting everyone know about this in hopes someone, somewhere may turn up a lead for him. That's what networking with friends is all about, right? :) You just never know where help will come from.

TerryJ2

Oh dear, I am so sorry.
It is great that they gave him a good severance pkg with-ins. though. Ins is so important!
I've got my fingers crossed. You will all come through this.

DDD

I'm sorry you all are facing this issue. Sometimes (yes, I know it is not common) it can result in something positive. As a result of being fired many decades ago, I ended up finding a whole new career and vowing to never have a boss again. It has been beneficial for me. Collecting unemployment was really difficult for me and finding the time/funds to go to school for new training was hard also. Bottom line, though, sometimes positive results can come. I hope it is soon for you and yours. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks Terry & DDD :)

He's been getting some really helpful emails from associates who were either let go this week or last February with lots of great advice. He already has names of people he's worked with before who are at other companies locally now in similar jobs that he may be able to contact.

That's the one good thing about his mood disorder -- he can be VERY gregarious and charming with the people he works with. His mildly grandiose behavior (sometimes generous to a fault with others) has made him a popular guy with others. I can remember when he first started at the company he would invite his team of about a dozen people over to our house a few times each year for a fish fry lunch (we'd go trout fishing and always brought back more than we could ever eat) that he would cook himself. Or to thank the support people he relied on in sattelite offices, he'd make a care package for that team with goodies he knew they all liked and ship it to them as a surprise. He had a group of about 15 people he played poker with several times a year, or he played on softball teams with some, or went to company golf tournys with others. I guess when you spend close to 19 of your 46 years of life at one place, it becomes like a second family to you.

He may never enjoy that level of camraderie again, but hopefully he will hold onto and continue to nurture those relationships and not let them slip away.

Anyhow... he's outside sleeping in the hammock now, and I've got to run to get the kids from school since they're out early today.