it's official i'm perimenopausal

Jena

hi

so, i went back to the gyn dr. yesterday and they finally did simple stuff like run a blood test to check my hormone levels. probably should of been done first before all the biopsies and other stuff. winds up that my hormone levels are elevated for a person with whom is entering menopause way way too early by the way.

So, i have some other junk i'm still resolving with that dr. yet nothing cancerous. so, we can do hormone therapy because i smoke.

So, yup i'm getting older for sure..... no wonder i'm so witchy lately. i want to be on my own private island most days and not be bothered by anyone.

i just had to share that :) so he told me when it starts up again go see him, he wants to run another test he was in shock that it was that.

maril

Lucky you (not!), lol. Hopefully, you can receive treatment to help you manage. You cannot receive hormone therapy?

When you get to menopause down the road, I want you to know that it may not be so bad, that is, at least it has not been for me (so far). Worst part for me is the times when I feel like I am going to spontaneously combust -- but then it passes, lol.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hmm...38? That's pretty early, but not too far from when I started. I hate to break the news to you, but I've been there for nearly 10 years. Just like my mom.

This is the 2nd time I haven't had a cycle in over 2 months. I guess that is a good sign that things might be coming to a close. I'm tired of this women carp.

Good luck.

Abbey

Jena

oh man that *****!!!! I can't do hormone therapy because i smoke!! yup i know i'm grose. i may have to quit though once i hit cardiologist next week, probably first thinig he'll say to me!

abbey i hope it is over for you. that's rough. what have you done for ten years to deal with-o chucking someone out a window?? LOL

trinityroyal

Jena, sorry to hear that all that "fun" is starting up for you, but it's great that you finally have some answers to all the symptoms you've been having. Now you can work with your doctor to find a treatment that's right for you.

Trinity

Jena

LOL trinity your having beautiful babies and i'm having a loss of estrogen LOL!!! I wonder if I have any eggs left in there, not that i'd wanna use them.........

SRL- that's funny!!!

Well, at least I know why i wanna scream alot!

klmno

I'm another who seems to be in this stage way too long. Every time I think it's finally over, there's another sign showing up that it isn't. I smoke, too, but never wanted any hormones given anyway. FWIW, I knew a lady who did the hormones and she smoked- I think she had other health problems that made the doctors decide it was in her best interest to go for the hormones in spite of the smoking. Anyway, she got cancer within a few years of it and died. So, just settle in and prepare to suffer thru. Learn how to ask yourself "do I always feel this way or am I just this mad today" before going off on anyone and practice biting your tongue. LOL!!!

I'm glad to hear it isn't anything more serious.

trinityroyal

Y'know what Jen? One of my favourite things about being pregnant is not getting my period! I mean, honestly. A nine-month break from "the curse" is totally worth the chaos of twins running loose afterward, in my book.

And since I'm not planning on any more after this, I'm seriously thinking about having the girl-gubbins removed while they're in there doing the C-section.

Hope that your symptoms aren't too crazy, and that your doctor can find something to smooth out the highs and lows.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ya know...didn't do a whole lot but just wait it out. Heavy, heavy periods for years...then nothing for a few months. I went to several OBGYNs to have them take this crud out of me, but none of them would. I don't want anymore kids. I don't see what the point is to make me work through this.

Maybe that is why I am such a maniac. I'd be teaching and for 2 months not have a cycle, then the red seas would part on the spot. Nice.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I started around 37-ish and I'm 46 now, still getting periods from he//, seriously. You are not too early.

It used to be perceived as being too early, but doctors who are at the top of their game these days understand that the times have changed and that many women experience the beginnings of perimeno in their late 30's.

Doesn't mean you can't have babies, just means your hormones are doing a little fluctuating - enough to notice, iow.

I have 3 older sisters and they all began exeriencing perimeno stuff around 37-ish. Took each of them about 7-8 years TOTAL to finally be period free. However, it wasn't all horrible throughout and leading up to their last full period - just want you to know that. My oldest sister is 63, followed by another who is 53 and then my next oldest who is 50; the last one just celebrated her one year anniversary of not having a period in the Fall 2008 - she is very happy. She told me that just when you think you can't take it anymore, they stop.

I am at that point, but I'm giving Mother Nature a helping hand by having that ablation I've posted about, lol.

Hang in there, Jen, it's not that bad once you find ways of coping. You're right, your DR will probably tell you first thing to stop smoking and walk more. Exercising definitely helps me monthly. What I hate most of all is feeling like I"m freezing when I go to bed but then waking up to toss the blankets and my jammies because I'm boiling. Oy!

witzend

You know what I hate about the hormone levels changing? Your skin really truly does start to sag and get wrinkly. It's bad enough to feel like a hag, but soon enough you start looking like one, too.:mad:

Andy

So, just settle in and prepare to suffer thru.
- LOL - I tell my kids this all the time!

"A nine-month break from "the curse" is totally worth the chaos of twins running loose afterward, in my book." - But Trinity, it will be at the very least 18 - 20 YEARS of chaos running loose! LOL

Hang in there Jena - now that you are getting answers to what is going on, you should be able to find some coping skills and pain medications that will help?

DammitJanet

18 or 20 years? Andy dear...you never stop being a parent! Didnt anyone ever clue you into that little tidbit? I dont care how old they get, they are still your babies.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jen,
Glad they found an answer, sorry all that is starting for you. I think I kind of skipped the peri stuff since I went through such an early menopause-21 but boy did I get the hot flashes in the dorms!! I've been on HRT since then.

Jena

hi guys

trinity - yes no period is def. worth two gorgious toddlers running about, your soo funny!! :) funny and prego, i hope you are feeling well

Janet - are you kidding, i thought this kid thing would end at 20 ( wasn't that the fine print in the guide book)?? LOL ha ha

witz - i have to be honest, my skin is much drier the past mos or so. i thought it was odd it's usually soo oily through the day. i am kinda liking this stage my skin is in right now, yet who knows what next mos will bring? LOL happy happy joy joy.........

jo - wow that's earlier than me!! i knew something was up, granted the cells are pre cancerous yet that wasn't what all the umm parting of the red seas (abbey's words, lol) was happening from. i def need to quit or substantially cut back on the cigarettes and exercise bigtime. i'm glad that the exercise helps you. i don't think i'll be needing my eggs lol, it's just nice to know that they are there!! I dont' know why, but their mine!! :)

Sharon did you say 21??? oh wow, i'm sorry. Wow, you are my menopausal idol and you are soo sane!! Amazing!

The joys of being female, they just keep on coming.............................

witzend

My mom still hasn't told me where babies come from yet, so even if we were talking I doubt that she'd discuss this with me. Both of my sisters had hysterectomies by the time they were 35 because of the periods. So, they can't tell me what to expect. I haven't gotten a doctor to take me seriously yet. I was a total psycho a few years back. My periods aren't fluctuating so much but the sweats and the PMDD are a bear. I don't care what anyone says, what makes us girls is just brutal.

Jena

Sharon - you will have to share that with-us when that happens lol. Yes very sane you are. :)

I'm a totaly witch on wheels. and further more i dont' care. i have warned all potentially affected parties to tread lightly till i get a grip!! :) i told them they should form a support group amongst themselves :)

Witz - oh i was weak when you wrote that about not being told by mom where babies come from yet!! that reminds me of my mom telling me how my late grandmother treated her talks regarding periods, babies, etc. there weren't any!! LOL my mother said my nan handed her this huge pad thing and said you may start to bleed someday and when you do use this and handed her a book. lol

me, i guess my mom was trying not to be her mom i was looking for my period by 7 because she had the talk so early...... ahhh the joys of being screwed up by our parents........ :) "priceless"